1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Equipment for HUGE snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike_Smith, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith Member

This has nothing to do with plowing buisness, but my personal plowing for my private road. What equipment do you guys recommend for a private 1 1/2 mile single lane gravel/dirt road on the middle of the high elevation area of new york called the tug hill. This place can get up to 600 inches in a single season and can get up to 7 feet in 24 hours. I'm moving to this area and am going to decide if its feasible to be able to take care of my private road. I have a lifted 4wd vehcile than can get through about 3 feet of snow so I don't need the road cleared of snow down to the gravel. Also, the machine can't be to big because its a fairly narrow road that cuts through a forest. Its preety much a logging road.

Thanks ahead.

2. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith Member

OH, I don't have the money to hire anyone and I'm in the middle of nowhere and we have DAILY blizzards, PLUS I love plowing so hiring someone is out of the question. All I want to know is whats the best equipment for the job.

3. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Mike,

I know what you are talking about i live just north of you about an hour.we go to tug hill on the sleds alot.Ithink your best bet is to got a v plow it will slice right though the snow in the v posession. what make and size truck do you have. A v should only be mounted on a 3/4 ton or larger

4. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith Member

A 1 ton with a v plow will be able to handle these type of conditions??:(I'm just making sure you understand what the conditions are like)
    The drifts can get up to 25 feet alongside the road during the harshest winters. You'd have to knock all that snow down. A 1 ton wouldn't move an inch in a 25 foot drift.
    Am I wrong?
    This is some serious stuff here.
    Plus, you have to be able to move the snow on top of each other so its possible to have drifts 50 feet high during the 'harshest of the harsh' winter. Also, snow on the tug tends to fall at HUGE AMOUNTS at one time, which makes plowing 6 feet of freshly fallen possibly wet snow for 1 and 1/2 miles hard.
    This is what a guy said who lived there. He couldn't cover 800 feet(just his driveway) with a 3/4 ton with chains, forget 1 and 1/2 miles(HE DIDN'T HAVE A V PLOW THOUGH). I was thinking of some kind of heavy machinery like a agricultural tractor with a huge plow or something else???
    If a 1 or 3/4 ton can do it, FANTASTIC!
    Thanks ahead.

Also, obviously since this is a private road, I can take any type of equipment on it.

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I feel like I just stepped through the looking glass....

Where am I, Alice ??

Sounds like an Oshkosh 6 wheel drive truck might be the ticket. You can pick them up at municipal auctions for chump change in the spring as most people don't know what it is and what it will do. Oshkosh has parts for anything they ever built too.

I know a fellow south of Chicago that has a major league snowblower for sale that mounts on a truck (if he still has it). It's huge, although I don't know particulars. He might just deliver it to you too. Good guy. Honest person and won't sell you junk. If you're interested, email me off forum and I'll give you his name and phone number.

600 inches..... my God, why would you intentionally move to such an area ??

6. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith Member

Thanks for the info.
    Why would I move there?, I'm a SNOW NUT!
    I wish it was 2000 inches.
    Anyway, I was just finding out what I needed because I'm deciding whether or not to buy land that has a 1 mile private drive. I wouldn't be ready to buy that snow blower right now, I'm buying the land this spring, building a home, then next spring buying a farm about 20 miles away from there and then moving in to my home I had built last spring and then I will need the equipment to plow the road.

I don't want to buy the land and then find out I need a $50,000 truck to clear my road!

Just for info, how much does that truck usually run?

7. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith Member

8. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Farm tractor with rear snow blower would work fine for this, that is what they use here in Iowa for long drives.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you are going to have to plow every 6-8" with a pickup or 1 ton truck,and hire out a blower or big truck to blow back the banks twice a month or so.Maybe a big 2-3 yd loader would do a good job,and allow you to let it build up if you had to and still be able to handle it.To blow back banks a 3ph snowblower would work well,and they arent to expensive,but driving in reverse for 3 miles wouldnt be fun or good on the neck.As for anything being cheap,even if you get an old cheap truck,when it breaks,it will be $$$$ or youll have to get rid of it and buy another.If you go that way,you need to know how to do your own work on most stuff.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

It is gravel right?

A cat D6 dozer, with inclosed cab. Will hadle the job no problem, once the ground is frozen, the cat will out scrape cleaner than any truck plow on the market.

Geoff

11. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I go sledding in a town called turin on the hill and most of the guys up there use their farm tractors with a rear snowblower to clear their driveways.

12. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

13. GeoffD

Or lease a backhoe from heartz. Case 580 4X4, 300 a week, i bet you could rent one for the whole winter for a good rate.

Then just buy a blade for it, a used highway plow would work, and your set. You got a good dependable backhoe, if it breaks they bring you another one. You don't have to worry about pushing back banks because the case will do it.

Geoff

14. GeoffD

oh yea, forgot this was the guy with the kenworth. That kenworth should work great for this application, but a frink plow on it and you will be ready to rock.

Does this place really exist?

Geoff

15. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said...

Alice in Wonderland.....

16. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Actually the place really exists and boasts 200" - 300" of snow per year with a record breaking 466" in '77. I would go with the D-6.

17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Definately a BAD smell to this thread, kinda reminds me of the perch I left in the boat for a week.

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

This guy comes here once a month just to yank our chains. We are much to friendly to such person who really doesnt deserve it.

19. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Mike hows it going we've missed you,how the fuel prices affecting that daily commute?

20. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mike,

My brother rides his sled there all the time. Here's a pic of a truck mounted blower. It's at a lodge there (in Booneville). He has no trouble keeping up with the snow with this blower.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/blower.html

~Chuck