1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Equip for sidewalks snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawn Care Plus, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

This year I have new contracts for snow removal. These include HOA, residentials, and apartment comlexes.

SIDEWALKS: I am thinking that an ATV with blade and an electric salt hopper on the back would be the best way to clear the walks of the apartment complexes.

A friend mentioned a snow blower due to the fact that they are far cheaper, but I think that they would take to long to use and then go back over for salt.

I do have a New Holland TC25DA with a loader but to me that is overkill for sidewalks and most likely too wide.

What do you all recommend??

Tim

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

An atv will definetly be the way to go due to their speed vs. a snow blower, thats a big investment though. New atv w/plow around 5-6k, used atv w/plow around 3500-5500.

3. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Big investment, yes I know.

Thank you for your reply.

Tim

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

atv lots of money but quick as shyt

snowblower would work good but not be as quick

5. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

It would all depend on how many sidewalks you have and how "tight" the turns are (and cars parked over the edge). If there are a bunch of "short" runs, a snowblower may be the way to go. But if you have enough long runs, you may want to look into one of these. It's a bit overkill, but I can push alot of snow with no problem (and fast, too). You can certainly cut down on manpower and increase productivity, IMO.

Depending on your circumstances, you also will need to determine how you will move it from job to job, whereas a snowblower will fit in the back of your truck. Good luck.

ATV Plow and Spreader Left Side (Small) (Small).jpg

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you could do a 2 stage snowblower 900-1200 or find a garden tractor and throw a plow on that

7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Quad wold be the ****. Tax write off and a sweet toy in the summer,spring,fall,winter. There are alot of options and implements for ATV's now a days.

8. ECS

ECS Senior Member

ATV if it is in your control and /or budget.

9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

ATV but make sure the plow isnt more than 48 inches otherwise your gonna be tearing up some grass

10. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Just don't forget to use Fluid Film! :bluebounc

11. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Acually, all the sidewalks here are 60" wide.

12. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder Junior Member

How about a John deere gator with 60" plow and bed snader/salter. The gator is 4x4 or even 6x6 and is enclosed with sum heater. I tihkn it would be a good investment. My school uses it for the walks and does great. Never any problems with power as fas as they told me. IMO. LawnInOrder

13. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Atvs are nice for smooth walks, dry snow not too deep. Hit a raised walk doing 5 mph and look out. Also I found out that some insurance co will not insure an atv for comm use..

14. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

We have used an ATV in the past, my insurance company insures it as a commercial entity. One problem we ran into before was that the cars parked over the edge of the walk making the pass too narrow for the quad. This may not be an issue at your property, but take a long look at the scope of work before buying. If it will work, it is also a great excuse for you to buy one under the business, write it off, and have a great toy for nine months of the year to use.