1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Electric VBox Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SaltDogg, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SaltDogg

SaltDogg Junior Member

Hi this is my first year removing snow. I currently have an inefficient salt spreading system and would like to upgrade next year to a VBox spreader. What would you recommend and why?

So far through my own research I like the following (in no particular order)
    1. 8' Buyers Pro (the orange ones)
    2. Buyers SaltDogg
    3. Smith Spreader (their web site sucks...)
    4. Sno-Way

I want something that is reliable, efficient, and easy to install. Price doesn't matter. Any opinions for electric vbox spreaders that would work on a Dodge 2500?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My salting apps. suck as well, unless you want a really good 5ft path,lol. I am looking into a different spreader and I looked at the Salt Dog and the Fisher. I liked the Fisher because the tops fold out to make somewhat of a shield along the truck sides when loading. My problem is loading a V box, I dont have a skidsteer or tractor so I think I'm going with a SnowEx 1875 tailgate spreader.
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I like sno-way or smith personally. I own a electric sno-way and a sub for me has one to. Great spreader, spreads nicely, swing a way chute is a must. Very reliable, I have never had a problem. My neighbor has had a smith electric for 3 years now and has never had a problem. They also have a swing a way chute design. I will be buying smiths 3yd electric unit next year. As for price sno-way is the best price. Another comapny you might want to look into is Ice-o-way. I heard they are now making electric units. They build a strong spreader as well but it costs a lot more.
  4. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

love the Dogg!!!!!!!!payup
  5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I've got an 1875 and shoots too much salt out. I would go with a 1075 swing mount
  6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Ive had Western, Meyers, Salt Dogg, Curtis and then this year I bought a new Sno-way 2 yard. I won't be buying anything other than Sno-way from here on. No hard wiring. I can switch from truck to truck. Swing-away chute and the unit is so simple to work on if you ever had trouble.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yep Snoway salter for sure, not an issue for me either. Been talking around here and no one has anything bad to say about the spreaders. Although mine is a gasser, I'm still very happy with the performance. Hey by the way, which system gas or electric has the larger spread width?? Or is the difference in the tourque for wetter salt sand mixtures???

Loose the bags, and go bulk

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Have you turned tha auger down? I've had an 1875 for years and it's the best tailgate spreader around. The only weakness is the controller which tend to fail and are very expensive to replace. If/when it goes, replace it with a Karrier. Ask me how!
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have the snoway electrics as well. Invest in stainless mine was like $500 more. Well worth it. Once you get it adjusted right it spreads great.

Only thing I would like to see is two motors on them, one for the spinner and one for the drag chain. I may make that modification on one this summer.
  10. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

Hey Saltdogg
    What about snowex. I have the V8500 on my 2001 Dodge 2500 and it is by far the best spreader that i have owned.So try and look into the Snowex's

Mike DiBiase