1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best electric unit?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rcpd34, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

If the latest fix for my Tornado doesn't pan out, I will be trading up to something else. Considering the 2 yard Salt Dawg. Any other suggestions? Definately not going w/a gas unit.
  2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I own a sno-way and love it, but i think they only make 1.3 yd electric. Smith is also great. I'll lbe getting a 3yd with the dual electric drive, one for the spinner and other for chain, for next year. Both units have the swing a way chute.
  3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Salt dog

My buddy has one. He does a couple of my big lots for me. He likes it and has very little problems with it. The auger instead of the chain seems to work with out any problems. However the salt he uses is kept indoors and is very dry almost like bagged salt. Don't know about wet salt or sand salt mix.
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Wet salt works fine in the Salt Dogg. I have put 16 tons of dripping wet bulk salt threw it with no issues. I allways tarp and dont keep any thing in it over night, so no issues with freezing.
  5. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

we bought a salt dog 1500 in the middle of a storm because another spreader went down and I'll tell you i am sold .It slung salt like best of em.Now this will be a backup to our other salt trucks(it became the main salt truck in that lot for that storm until the dump truck was fixed) but it is a nice setup.You can remove the spinner to haul a trailer or you can lift the whole unit out with three people.very light. tie down straps,bungees and tarp all in deal.would buy again.Didnt get the best price on it ,but for a sat evening it worked out well.had it running in mins and it saved me.I put it in my sons truck .
    I guess his new name will be the Cincy Salt Dog.