1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best eco friendly salt remover?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by marksj, Dec 28, 2010.

1. marksj

marksj Junior Member

What are the choices out there?It is for my own driveway,do not want to kill the grass in the spring.Sounds like we are gonna get ice tommorow:mad:
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You want to remove salt?
  3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

:laughing: :laughing:
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

salt remover

As salt is destuctive to vegetation there really is no way to remove it other than diliution with

fresh water to reduce the concentration of the sodium chloride(Halite).

You could use urea for deicing with or without sand as well but the possibility of fertiliser

burn on the vegetation is always a relevent possibility.

You can sucessfully mix sand and halite together or use straight sand as I do;

and you can mix ten pounds of halite with 100 pounds of sand giving you an eleven

percent mixture to spread. You can simply fill a pail with sand and spread it by hand with a

small can or cup advancing as you swing the can from right to left and repeat the process

until the drive is covered by the sand.

After you spread the sand you can do the same thing with the halite and you will need less

halite.as the sand will reduce the speed of the halite being washed away if the ice is what

you wish to prevent or reduce the possibility of slips and falls.

The sand will aid in traction and create a gritty surface for traction.for you as well.

The issue is one of total coverage and whether you wish to use sand, urea or a sand and salt

mix or sand and urea.

Sand will be less expensive as a method to mitigate the effects of ice for the end user.
  5. marksj

marksj Junior Member

I am glad someone understood me:laughing:Wow I need to be more careful before I hit the post button.Thanks for the reply.
  6. Roch_Greg

Roch_Greg Junior Member

Assuming the question was towards removing salt yes there are products made for that. Salt-X comes to mind off the top of my head.

Another is Salt-Away who used to advertise right here on these very forums.