1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Dump Trailer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Advantage, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm in the market for a 16' dump trailer, about 16k gvw. It will be used to haul skids, landscape material and most likely some occasional snow. I want a low deck height for ease of loading/unloading skidsteers and material.

Any recommendations on brands and features to look for?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a Ringo 12K deckover, 16x10. Very tough, but towed like crap. Go as long as you can, and of course low profile will help. The longer the tongue, the better. Make sure you get "standard" tires, a common size and rim. Mine had 14.5 bias ply on some crazy 8 lug rims. Impossible to find a matching rim locally after a blowout. It had removable sides, which was a very nice feature for loading materials from the side with a forklift.

Check out a few brands before making a decision.
  3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I also really like the idea of a roll-off trailer. Never seen one in person but it seems very versatile.
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I've been happy with my cam superline, its only a 6x10 but tows very nicely.
  5. bechbru2

bechbru2 Junior Member
    from pa

i have a 14k pequea and it works grea for us.
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have used a friends 6'X12' 12k lb Cam Superline and that works very well. I am hoping he upgrades so i can buy that one actually as he has the remote feature for it and he had the gate modified so the top swing pivot is much higher and heavier duty. His run 15" tires and a common 6 lug pattern. If you upgrade to the 14k then you get 16" tires and a common 8 lug pattern. Cam-Superline and Bri-Mar are the best out there IMO.
  7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Bri Mar. Have used one since 2002, no issues. Allot of competition since, but for my money it's Bri Mar
  8. LB1234

LB1234 Member

have a 2006 low profile 14' with the 12k GVWR one of the cylinders just started to leak this year...other than that...no problems
  9. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have a Bri-Mar 7x12 lo profile.It is nice to load the lo profile but you have a longer area when you dump.
  10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Take a look at P J Trailers. I have owned several dump trailers in the last 20 years, and I like my P J the best.Dexter axles, 16 inch E rated rubber, heavy frame, 3 way gate, and I have never been able to load it heavy enough to keep it from dumping.
  11. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Texas Bragg Brand.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a CAM Superline and it has been very good. I have the 7 14 deckover dump but they make a standard model that sits on dropdown axels. Mine has 2 7000lb axels
    I have had my skid in the back of mine but it is awefull high cause of the deckover. I dont use it to move my skid but tried it once. dual lift cylinders power up and down.

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I'm with the Bri-Mar guys. I have a 2007 6x12 LP 12k gross. Very well built. It's got barn doors and ramps. I've had zero complaints so far.
  14. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Some say they hold 14k lbs, that may be so....but its NOT going to dump 14k. Lucky if they will dump 8k. and you better hope the weight is in the back.
    Why don't they make dump trailers with the ram at the front like a dump truck? I know it will take up room, but that's A LOT of work for those rams to lift that thing with the angle they're at.

I would get dual rams at least, and make sure it has a heavy floor.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Very good point about the Rams. Definitely a tough push forward for a load that needs to go up!
  16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

That's why I would go with a scissor lift.
  17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have had a 6*10 PJ dump and now have a 7*14 dump trailer.....i would not buy anything else. They are built like TANKS and they will dump anything! They have a pic at the dealer of one of their customers with the same trailer i have that is absolutely WAY OVERLOADED with tree trunks and it dumped em just fine
  18. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

My buddy the logger could break an anvil with a piece of glass has had a PJ dump trailer for 5 or 6 years its 8 by 14 deckover. it still looks good and works well.
  19. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Ive got two Cam Superline trailers, one of which is a dump, both are awesome trailers and I wouldnt go with any other brand
  20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

http://sure-trac-com.si-vs1273.com/features/13-hd-telescopic-dump-trailers.aspx sure trac offers a telescopic cylinder like the big trucks.