1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best diesel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by westernboy16, Jan 1, 2006.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

what is the best all around diesel for plowing, towing and a other work. The CUMMINS, POWERSTROKE, OR THE DURAMAX. In a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (NO FIGHTING YOU HEAR)
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

??? What no debate? you don't know us very well do you?,:dizzy:
    What color of truck will it be in?:waving:

What happened to the Dakota you got?

What about an Alis-Chalmers? lol
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  3. westernboy16

im not getting a dakota im getting a diesel but dont know which one
  4. westernboy16

This Is Final Im Am Getting A Diesel
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

here's my $0.02. I love Chevy and I love Duramax. Dmax has had some injector issues, or so I've heard, but for the most part an awesome motor. The Cummins has the best rep around, unfortunately you have to settle for a Dodge truck if you want one. The new Cummins is actually quiet, anything more than a couple years old and I wouldn't want it. Too loud and no power unless you've got money to spend. If you do, then they are the best motor to modify, and there is a ton of aftermarket support. The Furd 6.0 has been plagued with problems since it came out, I towed a million of them for crank sensors, and they sometimes make their own oil by adding diesel fuel to the crankcase. If you must get a Furd look around for a 7.3. Excellent motor, tried and true with a lot of aftermarket goodies also. A lot depends on what year truck you're looking at. The pre Duramax Chevys had the 6.5 turbo, which everybody badmouths but I love mine. It is no comparison to a Dmax for power, but it gets the job done with power to spare. If you are looking at older trucks, I'd stay away from anything non-turbo, like the 6.2 or 6.9, or there was even a 7.3 non turbo for a while. Just too doggy without a turbo.
    It all depends on what you want to spend and what you like. I personally cannot imagine not knowing what kind of truck to buy. I have my next truck picked out for about ten years before I get it. Obviously I'm an opinionated Chevy guy, but I got those opinions from ten years driving tow trucks and I saw what worked and what didn't. So now all the Furd guys can chime in and say their trucks are the best, and Dodge guys can chime in and say Cummins is the best, Maybe your best bet would be to drive all three, the trucks should be able to make the decision for you. Any one of them will push a big plow, carry a big sander and tow whatever you got, so mostly it comes down to payment and what you are comfortable in. There, that's my $0.02, give or take a little. Keep the change.
  6. westernboy16

I didnt get a dakota i made that up so mowerpan and myers2228 would quiet putting those stupid pictures on the site
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Man oh man kid, u flip flop more than a Democrat on election day. May I make a suggestion as a new guy to the site? Stop posting until you have something. Your just digging yourself deeper and deeper. Or.....be honest when you post.

Now for the diesel question. The Cummins is an earth mover but like Dan said, it's wrapped in a Dodge. The Chubby's are OK but the have all kinds of injector problems and in my opionion they are a little weak. Buy a Ford diesel and never look back. The Ford will pull the Chubby UPHILL if chained together. But, also as Dan said avoid the early 6.0's. They were hot garbage!

The best advice given was when Dan said to go drive each and make your own decision (Obviously difficult for you!). I am a Ford truck guy so my opinion and .50 cents will get you a cup of coffee :jester:

And please, go buy something before these guys run you right off the board!!! :yow!:

8. westernboy16

I will listen to what sawboy said but for sure i am staying with a diesel
  9. westernboy16

and one more thing on my profile the age is wrong i was in a hurry so it should be 15 not 17
  10. I'm feeling nice today

I'm feeling nice so I will give you my opionion..... The early (01-02) duramax's had injector issues... Most of them have already been fixed by placing a new fuel rail in. If not, don't worry.......the top half of those duramax's are warrentied to 200k miles, so its really not a problem. They are very quiet for a diesel. The ford 7.3 was a very solid motor, but it just doens't have the power of the new ones. And just like eveyone says, the cummins is stuck in a dodge.

Now here is part two to think about (can you handle two parts?) With a engine has to be a tranny! Here is the honest opionion that is from the tranny shop that rebuilt my truck. (this is a big shop that specializes in plow vehilces) The new ford "torqueshift" (i think thats what they are called) sucks! Many guys are bringing them straight to kevin at the shop and getting them beefed up before they even try to plow with it. The dodge has a average to good tranny.... it holds up ok, shifts ok, and is all around ok. The allison is a great tranny. He told me that since they came out in 2001, he has only had to work on ONE (NO JOKE) and it was for a front main seal, NOT A REBUILD. Now I don't want to hear any of your "its not a REAL allsion, its a GM speced allsiion" I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS, ITS STRONG!!!!!!!!
    good luck on your search
  11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Firstclass makes an excellent point. The Allison is BULLETPROOF! You have to TRY and make them fail, and even then, it's an all day affair!
  12. rcracing17

rcracing17 Junior Member

13. Twin turbo cat

By the way, maybe some Ford fan can verify this. I heard that the 07 or 08 ford trucks may have a twin turbo cat diesel in them>/???? anyone heard of this..??? I can say that It sure would be sweet becuase Cat makes one of the best diesels out there and they are known for their power!
  14. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

2007 twin turbo POWERSTROKE!!!...i wouldnt want one till 2009 though, let them fix all the problems first
  15. i agree with the waiting for a different year

I would agree that you should wait a couple years....Thats dissapointing though. a cat would have been much better! but hey, what can you do!
  16. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You can always pop a CAT in!;) :redbounce
  17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Wait... You are only 15 years old and are looking for an expensive diesel powered truck?? I couldn't afford mine until I was 23 LOL. Not to mention you can't drive the thing (legally) until you are at least 16.

I really hate to give people here a hard time so I will try to be as polite as I possibly can... Take some time and read through as many of the older posts as possible. Not just the ones that are a week or two old, but read as far back as your eyes can take you. Learn all you can about the biz first before you start thinking about dropping $20K to $40K on a truck. Perhaps, at your age, a Dakota may be better suited since it's less expensive and probably cheaper on insurance. Once you get the hang of things and you keep that truck in good shape, trade it in on a full size.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm all for young kids wanting to get into the biz. Just make sure to keep your sights set at a reasonable level and you'll be all right. Don't forget, you will have more to pay for than just the truck. You'll also have insurance (which at your age isn't cheap), gas, maintenance, biz liability insurance, cash to help market your biz, etc. Unless you go work for someone else or have a very wealthy piggy bank it can be very difficult for someone your age to get into the biz in the capacity you're looking into.

Good luck though. I really do wish you the best:waving:
  18. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'm 15 also, and have about 4 jobs, not including ATV plowing. THERE IS NO WAY I could ever afford an expensive Diesel truck, I would probably take about 10 years to save up that much. If I was you, Buy yourself an old f-250 (or equal) and plow, and then trade it in on a bigger truck.

19. westernboy16

ya i guess a diesel truck would not be the best so i may step down until i get older and with some money so i might get a smaller truck or a bigger truck with a gas motor not a diesel

what would you all suggest for a small truck or a truck with a gas motor
  20. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

He's switching again.