1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Decision I Ever Made

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by john r, Feb 7, 2016.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I had it with my Swenson PV358 controller not working right. I got lousy support from Swenson dealers and Swenson. This cheap company did every thing they could not to replace the controller. The micro engineered contoller never worked right soo.... I chucked the controll box and hard wired the spreader. I installed a circuit breaker, soleniod, wired it up and works perfect! No more controller failures. Yee Haa. Needless to say I won't be spending 1500 bucks for a new controller, EVER. No More failures in the middle of the night. No more losing money with a down spreader. Almost as reliable as my hydraulic spreaders now. BTW we run 3 Swenson spreaders. My loyalty is going else where. Good by Swenson.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

And lets give some credit where credit is due. Modern Equipment and Trius Equipment are the dealers who "worked" on the spreader.

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

can you post some pics or diagrams of how you made it??

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that, although there seems to be a recurring theme regarding Swenson of late...........

5. jeepsdoidtall

jeepsdoidtall Junior Member

how old is the spreader that you had to junk the control panel

6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

The control box has a problem since new. It progressivly got worse.

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I wonder how there big fancy electric municipal spreaders are holding up they recently launched. Its the cheap china junk controllers all these companies use.

8. Mark Oomkes

If they're anything like their medium-sized fancy electric spreaders that use cheap Chinese junk, not worth a crap.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You could just buy a western striker and be happy mark

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

On my trip to China you could buy Swenson spreaders right on the side of the road. Even in Beijing they were stacked under the overpasses.

11. Mark Oomkes

Let me help you oot Chad. Since we last had lunch, I have NOT had STUPID tattooed on my forehead.

I own a SaltDogg UTG spreader which is a flaming piece of crap. I also own (hopefully not for much longer) a Meyer\Swenson VBox that has been aboot as reliable as my JD Gator wasn't.

It's going to be replaced by a hydraulic Vbox, powered by central hydros.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Enjoy that $30,000 spreader... and better hope the truck you put it on lasts forever too... that ain't no dodge or ford lol

Touch wood, I have a 4.5 yard striker and have put 140 ton through it this year, I cannot stress enough how awesome the spread pattern is on this unit. It literally does a solid 40' and has never skipped a beat, I'm very impressed with it, expecially comparing it to a Boss vbx... we leave salt in it all the time for days on end and it just eats through everything... I think you should have Swenson buy back your spreader, your good at starting a big fuss and then buy a striker for 8k and put $22,000 towards a new gm truck, then you'll finally be happy ;) LOL

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. Mark Oomkes

It won't be $30k, even with central hydros.

I'm still running my Monroe VBox from 2000. 2 conveyor chains and a handful of spinner motors. Second truck, first one rusted out from underneath it. It has the original bearings yet. We can run that much salt through it in a week or less, not bragging, just facts.

RAM is an awesome truck.