1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best de-icing Salt in the World?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JackofallTrade$, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JackofallTrade$

JackofallTrade$ Junior Member

Local news story on what some people claim is the best salt in the world. You think its worth it? Organic and melts down to 0 degrees. Red tint is nice to help see it too. They supply it to 28 states apparently.

2:30 minute video:
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=37862061&nid=148

Ice Slicer is the way they market it:
    http://www.iceslicer.com/

OR is white salt good enough?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. JackofallTrade$

JackofallTrade$ Junior Member

Where I'm coming from

Some other background on me
    My first year running snowblowing crews and doing lots of salting so with all of your help on this forum I've been learning. I started out with some spreaders which broke, so I bought a snowex drop spreader and a used earthway boadcast spreader. My guys never used the drop spreader so I bought two Snowex Sp85 broadcast spreaders (about $500 ea) that hold 150 lbs if you really top them off, they've been working great and we work them hard. We do residential, commercial, lots of walks and driveways at HOAs. So even if I had a VBox I'd still have to run some push spreaders.

Bought lots of pallets of bags since we've have the biggest winter in years here in Utah (used 15 tons in bags) and all this forum's talks of bulk salt got me wanting to try that. Plan is to buy a skid steer and Vbox next year.

Anyway I saw this on my local news and apparently the claim is this is the best salt in the world? I can get it for $35 a ton for road salt and they have a product that would even work in gravity fed and push spreaders they call medium or Ice slicer Zero that is baked dry and consistent size. (better for walking on vs. driving on) Its $55/ton

The salt mine is 6 hours round trip from me. But the main Morton Solar salt plant is 1.5 hours round trip and is only $17/ ton. However this is the fancy organic salt that melts down to 0. White salt only melts to 18 degrees.
    Thoughts?

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Being you are already there, you should be looking at Magnesium Chloride. It will take you down to -10 and its glutten free

4. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

Where can buy salt at $35/ton?

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I used the "original" Ice Slicer in my lots, it works very well down to about -5*.
    For walks I use a Morgro product (also from Utah) called Snow Plow which is good down -27*.
    When it's really cold and there's no sun in the forecast I'll mix a blend of Ice Slicer and Snow Plow.

6. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

What does the Ice Slicer Elite sale for per ton or bulk bag.

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Looks like a really good product, but after our experience with Magic O and IBG treated salt, I would put it up against any product out there for melting, Ice prevention and Environmental benefits in it.

8. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

Zero Ice is awesome

9. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Where are you getting salt for those prices?

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If it were the best everyone would be using it.

11. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Ok how about a price per ton on ice slicer ls, and elite. It must be great!

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I don't go through enough to buy bulk and not set up to. I think bulk is $65t and I last paid $6.90 a 50# bag when buying a skid.

Guys back east probably haven't heard mulch aboot it because it's mined in Utah and shipping cost is probably an issue. Being mined in Utah it's widely distributed in the west.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Salt is salt.