1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Controller?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Oct 18, 2005.

?

Who's Offers The Best Hand Controller?

1. Meyer's

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Bilzzard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Boss

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Fisher

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. Western

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Who's controller is best? By best, I mean:

1. Your fingers know exactly how to maneuver the controls without having to look at them.
    2. It's placement in the cab makes sense. Ex - strapped to seat / bolted to dash / floor mount / etc.
    3. You got used to using it very quickly.
    4. You had no mechanical or electrical problems with it.

2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

What about Snow-Way?

3. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Snow who?

Just kidding.

I tried to edit the post to include them but you can only edit a post within one hour of writing it, otherwise I'd include them.

Sorry...

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Depends......do you want a joystick? or a hand held?

5. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I've used both a rocker switch style and a joystick and I prefered the joystick. But, I'd consider either as maybe the rocker style I used on my Pathfinder Plow wasn't as nice as some others out there.

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My hand-held for my Western is great. I can hold it anywhere no matter what I'm doing. Sometimes I even shift with it in my hand. Comes in handy too if you have to peek out your window and just can't seem to reach the permanently mounted joy stick. Also have to give BOSS thumbs up, their hand-held controller is easy to use also, v-plow or straight blade:nod:

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have used joysticks and mounted on the shift lever they work pretty good but I do prefer a handheld joystick. The fisher and westerns and boss are all I used there and Like em all. For straight I would lean twards a fisher/western becasue I prefer how it fits in my hand and its size. For a V plow Boss rocks becasue I like the button layout better

8. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

For you guys voting for the Boss....do you like the handheld or the joystick better?

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have never tried the handheld, it never made sense to me as my trucks are four-speeds not automatic. Just seemed to me putting it down and picking it up would be a pain. I stuck with the joystick because I can bolt it down and it is always in the same place and position so I don't have to grope around in the dark.

Mine is mounted to a small padded home-made wood console that sits on my bench seat, so it stays easily removable (just unplug and take the whole thing away). Doesn't get any easier.

My only other controller I've had is a Western cable-op unit, and while it works well it feels clumsy (by design, of course) compared to the electrically controlled Boss unit. My Northman didn't come with any controls.