1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best commercial snowblower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SweetGreens, Dec 5, 2008.

1. SweetGreens

SweetGreens Junior Member
    from Iowa

This is my first year in the snow industry. I currently use a Bobcat S130, and a Ariens home owner snowblower. I am tired of using my dads, so i am wondering what is the best commercial snow blower? Thanks

2. jason t.

jason t. Member

Toro, Toro or Toro. Get my drift (no pun intended). There is only one option imo. I still prefer the 2650, not as much plastic and cables to break, unlike the newer models.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Simplicity is also a good brand

4. double cut

double cut Junior Member
    from 44122

Honda

Hands down the Honda HS928 hs1132

It is a Hydro, throws snow 49ft, moves 2000lbs. of snow a minute!

Specifications:928
    Engine: Honda 8.5HP (270 cc) Single cylinder, Overhead Valve, air-cooled
    Starting system: HS928WA - Recoil / HS928WAS - Recoil & Electric
    Fuel tank capacity: 1.6 gallons gasoline
    Operational capacity on one tankful: Approx. 2.5 hrs.
    Dimensions (LxWxH): 55.5" x 28.5" x 41.0"
    Dry weight: 218 lbs.
    Drive mechanism: Hydrostatic
    Chute turning radius: 210°
    Clearing width: 28"
    Clearing height: 20.1"
    Discharge distance: 49 feet (depending on snow condition)
    Clearing capacity: 2019 lbs. per minute
    Oil Type: 5W-30
    Fuel Type: 89 Octane unleaded gasoline
    Cooling System: Forced air

This says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BihUW8eCTis&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNLbAW6j7k

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. jason t.

jason t. Member

I meant 3650, don't think there is such thing as a 2650.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My only concern is that new toros are made by MTD. They used to be good blowers but I'm not so sure anymore after looking at them. I know the 21 inch single stage now only has the paddles for the auger instead of metal and rubber. Needless to say, worthless in more than 2 inches of snow. The older ones are much better.

I would go with simplicity.

7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Single stage; Toro Snow Commander

(2) stage; Honda w/tracks

The Toro Snow Commander is discontinued, due to price I suspect. The other models of Toro single stage machines are great also, but the Snow Commander moves all material.

Can't go wrong most any Honda product. Best two stage I have ever run.

8. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

Which models are you looking at? The ones on the Toro website, still look like the same ones from last year...

9. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I love the Toro 3650's. The move alot of snow and 1 person can move them on and off of a truck.

10. Signature lawns

Signature lawns Junior Member

11. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I'll throw in a vote for Honda as well. Worth every penny in the middle of the snow storm, always start first or second pull even in minus 30 weather. I've had two track models, one wheeled model and one 3.5 hp single stage, never an issue with any of them.

Freddy

12. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Any pros and/or cons to the Honda Track drive vs. wheel drive?

13. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Simplicity!! Makes a great snow blower they have three different frames to choose from I have all signature pro models

14. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

The track models are awsome for busting through deep drifts and hard packed ridges, they have a lock feature to hold the intake/ auger tight to the ground for digging through the banks.

The wheeled models are easier to turn, easier to load and unload out of the truck and are a little bit lighter.

It really depends on what application your using them for. I personally like the track models better, that is why I bought a new one for this season.

Freddy.

15. Exact Services

This what puzzles me about Plowsite and all the opionions out there on Toro singles. What I've been able to tell the new ones are faster and more productive because of the quick shoot and as soon as you engage the drive bar it pull forward imedaately with out lifting up the back. Also a dealer told me the new ones have a better scrapper?

I went to Lowes and looked at the MTD trash and it doesn't look anything like a Toro?

Anyhow not sure what to believe... some say they work great in all types of snow. Others say they are next to worthless and are cheap junk?

16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My bad, for some reason I was thinking the troy built blowers not the toros. I had a brain fart........

17. Exact Services

Is the long term reliability of the Honda Hydro drive worthy?

Long story short some of the people on Lawnsite.com have a love hate relationship with the Honda mowers. Some have nothing but grief with them especially the hydro drives other think they're great. Parts are a pain to get or very expensive? Dealers have little to no clue about them or they charge too much to work on them etc.

I hope the view here on Honda snow throwers is a complete love fest.

18. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

About the only thing hold me back from trying them is the dealer, they dont really seem to have a clue about them, but I do have a couple honda single stages that I picked up used, the guys seem to like them...

19. Signature lawns

Signature lawns Junior Member

Ariens top dog boasts a 16" auger diameter and a 14" impeller diameter. Handles the slushy slury with

no problems. The Price point and ease of loading/unloading the Toro single stage power clears make

them a good choice. The Ariens will get you done in a hurry even with having to use ramps to

load/unload, unless you have a trailer but it comes at a hefty price. So if your looking for easy loading

& low price go with Toro.If you want something thats heavy duty that will handle large amounts of snow

go with Ariens or Simplicity. I almost went with Simplicity, but there were a few features I liked about

the Ariens better.I also went with Toro for the best of both worlds.

20. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Junior Member