1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Commercial Snow Blower???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wiscobest86, Mar 5, 2013.

1. wiscobest86

wiscobest86 Junior Member

We are a newer land management company in Milwaukee, WI looking to purchase a new/slightly used 2-stage walk behind snow blower.

We currently have 35 residential and commercial accounts. We are using 2012 QZR Toro for light snow falls, a 2-stage Honda HS55 which is +20 years old for the heavier ones, and 2 shovels.

We are looking to add another 2-stage snow blower and have run into questions...

Is it worth it to go 15 hp? Some brands seem cheaper than Honda, but are they reliable?

Are the Honda/Toro 2-stage blowers really worth the extra money? I know my old one was, but I'm hesitant to spend $2,500-$3,000 on the second one... Any brand suggestions that may save me some money?

Is anyone running a Honda/Toro 2 stage 1-2 years old? What do you think of it?

We are in Milwaukee, WI so if anyone has anything used to sell give us a shout!

P.S. We are also looking for a 52" ZTR Mower

Thanks!!

2. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Honda. Great machine. We have one hydrostat, awesome machine. I run two Honda snow throwers and two toro snow throwers. Bt the two, about the same weight, nice to use, about the same price. Can't go wrong with either toro or Honda. Are they worth the cost, YES!

3. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Ariens 2 stage, $1000. Never had 1 problem bought it 08 & we've done a hell of a lot of drive's!
    Used to do about 70 drives every storm. Still looks brand new & runs like it did the first day.

4. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Honda for a single stage and Ariens for a dual

5. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

I have a honda that is 23 years old and I will put it up any machine in the same size range. bottom line honda hydo is the best.

6. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

No offence to anyone (I do own 1 honda) but buy American! Or as much as u can. Proud American!

7. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

The honda 1332 on tracks is imo the finest 2 stage blower made. We also have a 1332 Ariens pro as well. Both great machines but when you get into the heavy stuff, 8"+ the honda goes through it with little effort, The ariens goes through it fine also but you have to pull up on the handles to keep the front of the blower from riding up in the heavy dumpings.

8. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Simplicity pro line or the upper end Ariens and you won't be disappointed---we have one of each

9. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Ariens makes great 2 stage blowers. Make sure you buy from a real dealer, don't waste your money on the cheap ones at Home Depot. My back up guy uses a Toro that works very well also.

10. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Good point about the dealer! No box stores

11. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the Hondas, but the tracks make sense. Whatever you buy, make it a Pro model. Our Ariens 1332 Pro has been good to us for many years. The ones you see at Home Depot, etc have a design life of 5-10 years for private individuals. That's 5-10 events for us.

12. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

13. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i run areins and john deere snowblowers, but john deere getting out of the snowblower market .so i would go with the areins.

14. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I have a 2 stage Toro blower it's about 7 years old now it runs great I paid about $1600 for it but I'd rather buy alittle cheaper than that now maybe a Ariens stage 2 would be a good choice also. They deffinately make some sweet snowblowers now adays. I think you can make some good money snowblowing deffinately need a couple if thats how your clearing your snow.

15. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap blower & you'll be replacing it sooner.

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Read good things about Toro here and found this 10/32...but this looks way diff from what I have seen? ANy experience with this intake?

toro.jpg

17. ducnut

ducnut Junior Member

Things look to have changed a bit with Ariens, since the original post. I'm not seeing a 1332 model in their lineup. What level machine in their current lineup do I need to start looking at. I'm thinking the Professional 32"-12V is what I'm after, as I have some elbow/wrist issues that make cold, pull-starting any engine very difficult. The electric start looks appealing. However, in central IL we don't get enough snow to really justify that much machine. The Compact or Deluxe models would probably be adequate. I have a single-stage and would like a 2-stage to handle heavier snowfalls. I'm a bit lost. Thoughts?

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-blowers

18. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

From past experience, if you can afford to get the better, get it. If you want a 2 stage to handle the bigger snow, just because it's a 2 stage doesn't mean it will handle the large snow. Look at the size of engine and how the machine is built and you will see why they charge more for it. I'm not too familiar with the new models but check out your local dealer. They will be able to answer any questions and may let you try out the electric start and everything else. Good luck

19. ducnut

ducnut Junior Member

Yeah, my "local" dealer is over an hour away. But, I'm willing to drive.

As for the 2-stage, I've found myself in wet snow that my single just doesn't like. And, we get some good sized drifts that the larger mouth of a 2-stage would better handle.

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH