1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? Best Coating/Protection From Salt?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PGHplowguy, Oct 9, 2014.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Hey guys,

Anyone have any suggestions on what they like the best? As in a protective coating to brush/spray on trucks to protect it from all the rock salt both spreading and from driving on the roads.

The frame yes, but mainly on all the lines on a truck.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, just factory clear coat.

3. Joejohn

Joejohn Junior Member

I usually wash it after every use at work, or take it to a spray car wash and give it a good spray, quick wash, rinse it, then at most of the spray car washes around here they have a de-salting rinse, not sure what it is, but it neutralizes salt somehow and seems to have worked on my plow, as it still looks new!

The only other thing i've done is put some transmission fluid in a squirt bottle and wiped various pieces down with ATF a few times a year, it keeps metal looking shiny and hoses looking new, not sure if this is good or bad, but it seems to help!

4. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

FLUID FILM every 3 mos..never rust

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have heard warm to hot water will neutralize the salt if washed shortly after driving in it,