1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best chain or track alternative for 773g & snow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ALEX516, Feb 16, 2006.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

As title states, what's the best combination everyone's running for snow?

I would like to install some sort of rubber tracks for use in the winter.
    I don't know anything about them though, other than tons of variations of it on ebay and other discussion groups but no strait forward opinions.

I used my machine the other day in a few inches of snow, and the driveway I was cleaning up lets out onto a decently sized hill. When I exited the driveway with a loaded bucket I was ok, but when I tried to turn I started to slide down the hill, nothing serious, but could have been if I did not retain control by dropping the bucket HARD.

This is the first year I've used a machine for snow. I've used a machine before, so operating it is not an issue, but never used one for snow before.
    The the tires are about 50% but I felt that the traction I had was pretty poor and I'm not sure that itwould have been any better with a bit more meat on them.
    They are foam filled by the way, I'm not sure if that makes any difference though.

What I would like is some sort of rubber tracks system, I guess they require spacers on the hubs or something? How hard would spacers be to install?

What should I expect to pay for such an alternative? Is anyone using somehting like this? I'd rather not go with metal tracks because I use the machine in a variety of jobs but don't forsee the need for something as heavy duty as steel tracks.

What handling differences should I expect with tracks?

Thanks very much for reading and any replies greatly appreciated!

2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

tracks flat suck in the snow. think of a GIANT bald tire on each side of your pickup. huge, flat, no traction.

put a set of chains on your rear tires and be done with it.

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

chains

I've heard both that they're great in snow, and that they're bad since they tear up anything else than concrete.

Anyone use chains?

ONly the rear tires??

4. Ian

Ian Member

Some machines will accept a 3/4 or 1 ton truck wheel and can use a good truck snow tire. Can make a world of difference. You don't want a wide tire with large lugs. You want tall and skinny tires with lots of little tread patterns.

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

tracks are awesome for driving out in 2 feet of kind of hard snow in a meadow. you won't get stuck, adn can drive around.

unfortunately, my goal with teh steer is to push snow out of the way. the tracks don't work at all on ice, and very poorly on pavement with some snow or ice on it.

chains work awesome. most of the weight of the skidsteer is on the rear tires. when you are pushing down with the bucket, you can easily get NO weight on the front tires.
    if you leave the chains off the front, you can get 95 percetn of the traction as 4 tires, which is plenty, but you won't tear up the asphalt nearly as bad.

a good pair of skidsteer chains for my 12 inch wide tires cost me 400 bucks. car tire chains get torn up by the torque of the steer.

one guy on this list says he bolts chains across his tracks, and drives around on the rear of the tracks, and gets good traction.

6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Get a heavy duty tire chain that will fit , rear only. Been in the bobcat bus. for 11 years my employee runs it on 5 accounts. Be very carefull bobcats can be dangerous we had them to take off sideways on a hill will scare the **** out of you. They can be slow with out a blade but it gives my guy something to do when it snows

7. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Sideways On A Hill

tELL me about it!!

That's part of the reason I want tracks or chains, A lot I do (small church) has a driveway that lets out on a beginning of a hill.

When removing snow from the lot and dumping on the grass across the street, it's scary.

I've had to bang teh bucket down into the street to keep from going down the hill.
    The machine still ends up sliding sideways, or rather rotating sideways but with the bucket in dump position and against the asphalt it keeps me from going down the hill.

I can recover from the position, but it's hell.

Gonna run chains next year.

8. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

hey alex check out the other post on this thread . i put on wolf paw tires with studs, works great. I clear one drive 400 ft long at 6% grade, with a bobcat S250,with a blower. no slip plus drives much nicer w/o chains. other guys have adapted truck snow tires, with similer success. wolf paws pricy @1200. wheels and tires.