1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best CB and Antennas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm looking to get a CB for my truck- what's a good one in the price range up to $150? What are good antennas (want to do twins on my backrack)? I'd like a CB I can set up with a PA system as well if possible.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have a uniden, paid about $150 for it. Has the PA and all the good stuff. I run a Wilson antenna. It's a loaded base 2000 I think. You don't want to run dual antenna's as they need to be 8' apart to work correctly or they will fight each other. My friend has a Firestick on his backrack on the drivers side.
    I bought all my stuff at a CB shop and I did all the install and they tuned it. You can tune them yourself with a meter, but the shop offered for free

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 from what i hear. and even hard core cb users over the road will run 1 big ant rather than 2 sticks. chevk local truck stops for measage boards for possible used stuff for sale cheep . i got my nice peaked and tuned uniden with big ant. used for less than 100 bucks. and the ant. can handle around 400-500 watts if i add a power adder. heck i even have weather in my cb radio. dont use the little pa tho. i have a 100 watt federal signal pa unit. man is it loud :dizzy:

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If you want the "look" of having dual whips thats fine just only hook up one of them.

5. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

how far can cb go, and is it possible to find an open channel?

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My find used to have a pa on his station wagon, he used to drive around yelling at people it was halarious

7. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

go marine its the only way to go i can about 25 miles with mine on a good day. a cb only puts out 4 watts at least the legal ones lol and they only go about 7-8

8. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Yeah, for the heck of it I bought a Cb and havent tuned it yet, I know I will get the meter and do it, but I do get about 8 miles with it currently. It is a Cobra 29 with a 48" antenna magnet mount.

9. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Got a uniden with a wilson 2000 works good, distance depends on the terrain. If there are alot of hills I only get a mile or two.

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i have a midland in one truck and a cobra in the other. both use firestick antenna's. one truck has a single antenna and the other has dual. we get great reception between the trucks but i don't know the mile range we have. i do know this past saturday the trucks were 30 minutes away from each other in a snowstorm and we had crystal clear reception. the firestick site has tons and i mean tons of info on it. do a lot of reading on there and follow their suggestions. def got to tune the antenna(s) though.

11. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

First, Wilson is the best in antennas that are base loaded. Firestick for fiberglass. Dont bother with fiberglass, they suck and the range will dissapoint you. Second, consider a decent export or "modified 10 meter radio" as it has more power, channels, and more options. Also, a good power mic such as a red devil or astatic d-104 will help with audio. Decent setup that will really get you out there for around$ $300 or so. Try this site, they are wholesale cb parts and such. http://www.hyelectronics.com Hope this helps!

12. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

i would run a wilson 1000 magnet mount you can run a linear amp for more fire in the wire but remember you need to have your radio power turned down unless you have adjustable power

13. solarbarack

solarbarack Junior Member

I'm running a magnum s-380 w/ an astatic mic and wilson 5000 magnet mount.