1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Drinkher Pretty, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Drinkher Pretty

Drinkher Pretty Junior Member
    from SE Pa

I'am buying my first plow and would appreciate any help you guys can give me.
    1.Which of these plows would you guys consider to be a best buy

Western 8' pro plow+ for 3200.00$ Curtis 8' for $3100.00 0r a Boss 8'S duty for$3324.00

Also which of these 3 would be easiest or hardest to install myself on my 2001 2500 ram diesel.

Thank you in advance
    Drink her pretty

2. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

The Western Pro Plus Ultramounts are a nice plow and pretty popular. I've never seen anyone in our area with a Curtis, but have seen a fair number of Boss's. I have a 1 year old boss and installed it myself. All of the headlight stuff is plug in, and the plow mount was direct bolt on. I'm not sure if this will be the same for your truck in terms of the mount, but you may have to drill a couple of holes. I've heard before that the Dodges can be a little tough to bolt up. I chose the Boss because of it's design, ease to attach and remove, it puts itself on and takes itself off(although the Western is very easy too), and the hydrualic system is very well designed. Plus the pump and distribution block are under cover from the weather. I'm not trying to sell you on Boss, just giving you my opinion on the plow. I've been very satisfied with the plow, and no problems with about 100+ hours on it so far. One other thing about the boss is, the fact that it's not a chain lift, the plow doesn't jump up and slam down when you bumps and dips in the road. It stays nice and solid. Either way, i'd go with the Western or the Boss. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Boss all the way !!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

go with the one one that will give you better dealer support:)

5. Drinkher Pretty

Drinkher Pretty Junior Member
    from SE Pa

In my area there really isn't many dealers.All three of these prices were from dealers that are equally far away.So I'am pretty much on my own once I buy and install.I understand what you are saying about dealer support though.The dealers in my area sell mostly Meyers which I don't want(even if I did there is a either a waiting list or they have 7'6" plows,The Curtis dealer was $1000.00 more than everyone else,Unistalled)
    So that leads me to my original Question.I'am looking for a plow that is really the most reliable and won't make me want to kill my wife when I go to install.
    Thank you for your advice.

6. TSG

TSG Member

Just bought and installed my first plow...

I elected to buy a used Boss V plow after shopping around. The prices for the plows you listed are better than I could find around here. So in my opinion they all are decent deals.

I installed the Boss (on a 2000 3/4 ton Dodge) with the help of the guy I bought it from. It was pretty straight forward. It took us about 6-7 hours. We only needed to drill one hole through the truck frame and reem another on the mount.

I think any of the installs will give you a little difficulty and frustrate you but nothing you shouldn't be able to over come.

My recommendation is to have someone there to help and don't tighten any bolts down unitl it all comes together.