1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Brand of 2 Stage Snowblower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Apex Snow, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Apex Snow

Apex Snow Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Looking for information and ideas for the best type of two stage snowblowers for sidewalks and small paved type driveways. What are the best?

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Hands down is honda

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've never had any problems with my Craftsman.

4. FiNaL

FiNaL Junior Member
    from OHIO

hey boss what kind of craftsman do you have? I am lookin for a back up one its a 5.5 hp with i think 22 or 24 inch wide not sure. How long have you had yours?

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 5/24?Crapsman

Hello, For what it is worth I had a 5/24 I think it was either a 22 or 24" Craftsman and it was nothing but a pain in my tail.Where the impeller throws the snow up into the chute it would ALWAYS plug up.They restricted the transition for whatever reason,just a poor design.
    If powder is all you get then it should be ok for you,anything heavy and it will plug.I waxed the intake before every storm it would help a little but would still plug,going in first gear full throttle working it into six inches of heavy snow just a worm and then nothing.The chute was also kind of cheap,plastic and would break away around the base with heavy use.
    My twenty year old Ariens ran circles around my newer Craftsman.I ended up giving my craftsman to a neighbor.
    Honda makes a great product also.

6. ROFOTH

ROFOTH Junior Member

best i've had

The best snow blower that I've had so far is my Craftsman 8/24.
    Metal chute two stage and Trac Drive. I bought it used for 300 dollar Five years ago. The only thing I had to replace is plug every year,and I just replased the friction disc yesterday.(the disc was at least 20 yrs old ).
    the person I bought it from bought it new and still had all the paper work.

7. westwind

westwind Member

Honda has always produced a great product. Have also had good luck with the larger Toro models.

8. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Don't know what might be the best

But my Ariens snow blowers have never given me a problem.

J & B Lawncare

9. Calamari

Calamari Member

Ariens

824 Ariens is very reliable. Electric start comes in handy. Locking hub. Blows dry snow 30'. Chews wet snow. Easy maintenance.

10. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

John Deere is the way to go.

11. GrtArtiste

GrtArtiste Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

The leaders are Honda-Ariens-Toro-Simplicity (I call them the HATS machines for short). Honda is undoubtedly the best quality, but parts are expensive and getting them can be a nightmare. Ariens had a large, loyal following. Many of these last 20 years and more. Toro is also great, especially if you like Tecumseh engines (some do, some don't). Parts for both are widely available. A Simplicity is usually a little more costly than a comparable Ariens or Toro, but they are also highly regarded. You really can't go wrong with any of them. That said, I have a Toro and I like it.

GrtArtiste