1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Battery for 89 F250 w/ meyers e-47?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bill645, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Bill645

Bill645 Junior Member

Looking for the best battery to put in my truck. 89 F250 (302) with a Meyers e47.

I have notice that under load ( lifting and angeling) that the lights dim etc. What is the best way to go with a new battery. Also, I have a stock alternator... should I upgrade that also? The battery is nearing its usable life, its at least 4 yrs old.

Thanks in advance.
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

optium yellow top:cool:
  3. oldtimesnowplow

oldtimesnowplow Junior Member
    from Alaska

I have a 150 amp Alt. and 2 new batteries, My lights Still dim. You might find out you will live with it. I put a LOW VOLTAGE ALARM on my truck so I know that the batteries are going down. It has a 100 decibel alarm on it. I know that something is wrong and I have some time to drive it to my shop to charge them. It has never set off. Old Time Snow Plowing :waving: - Thomas Brunner
  4. Bill645

Bill645 Junior Member

A low voltage alarm might me a good idea. Or maybe get a cheap volt meter at RadioShack, so I can see what the voltage is doing.
  5. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

BATTERYs redneck 101 setup

THIS Really worked for me2 seasons.2 new battery with same crank amp 875.one was a auto battery and the other is a deep cycle marine battery.The marine battery has the positive cable connected to the positive terminal on the auto battery with a quick disconnect switch.and the marine battery ground cable is connected to the engine block.my head lites dimmed alot less with setup.i also was using an older meyer s unit.i also ran about 3 extra grond cables in the egine compartment.1 from firewall to the frame and 1 frome frame to the engine block and xtra from the battery negative to the frame.The alternator was a 83 amp delco 3 wire low rpm high ouput custom alternator.lots of wheel bearing grease on all cable end terminals.oh and i also grease my entire rear back frame rails with a ol paint brush.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You are going to have a voltage drop anytime a large load is applied to the charging system. Lights dim, heater slows etc.
    You can buy high output alternators right off the shelf for your truck. An automotive electrical rebuild shop can upgrade your stock case to a higher output for about $1.50 an amp. you have to upgrade the wire size going to the battery / batteries to handle the added amp flow.
    I bought the biggest battery ( 900cc ) I could fit on the battery shelf. It is a 3 year free replacement from AutoZone. It lasted 4 years with an alternator rated at 90 putting out 100 amps . Be carefull shutting your truck down while plowing ( fueling, coffee run, walk clearing etc. ). I noticed my voltage is fine but the starter whines slow when the truck is really warm. I have an extra ignition key that I start the truck with when plowing and just leave it run till done for the night. Install a volt gage if you don't have one. The truck should have 13.5 - 14.5 volts while running. ( Not running it should be 12.6 volts.) If it starts to drop to under 13.5 without a load your loosing ground on charging while plowing.
  7. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I would say go to your local armature Place of Business and have the electric motor load tested.It may be getting near its end.If that proves good then look at you charging system.Change your battery as a maintainance item if you like