1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best battery(deep cycle?) For 00 TJ auto for plowing?..

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by info4tim, Jan 8, 2015.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Hi guys, have a 3-4 ur old Optima yellow top 34 battery that needs replacing..now. Question: Heard bad things on these of late. What's your top choice for a jeep plowing battery these days n why? I run a Meyer e47, halogen headlites n 4 led 48w tractor lights n an led mini lite bar n a Kenwood amp. Should I just stick with yellow top? Thank you all!

2. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

No one has any thoughts, experience on this?

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I plowed with an 01 and now an 04 TJ and have used regular old Autozone red batteries with no problems. They're cheapish and have a good warranty, but again, I haven't had problems. Stock alternator on both and the 01 saw long hours of heavy use. Save the money is my suggestion.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My latest Jeep has a group 64 battery and a 160 AMP alt. seems to work fine.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  6. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Thanx pm. So a 64/65 will fit in 00 TJ? What's diff between 64 n 65? I'm just wondering if I need the deep cycle chging that Optimas supposedly provide for plowing? Thanx again

7. bschurr

bschurr Member

Sears Gold is my battery of choice. A step above that would be an AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) battery. Optima and Sears Platinum are 2 examples of batteries that use this technology which allows for improved deep recharge cycles as compared to typical SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries.

8. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Thanx to all! On my way to Sears for the Plat! Got $25 off signing up for a "member" on their website! Yeaaaaa! prsportpayup

9. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I get all my families car and truck parts,motorcycle oils, filters etc from Autozone. I joined their rewards program and it adds up fast. I live close enough to where I can make a couple trips and really work the offer to my advantage. We drive by AZ 5 times a day..

You get a credit everytime you spend $20. 5 credits is a $20 on a member card. You can save them up. I bought my wifes battery last with the credits and almost to an ODBII scanner... and I've been saving since July....

10. theplowmeister

from MA

the deep cycle batteries work best with a slow discharge the plows use high amperage draw not good for deep cycle.

11. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I run a Group 65 (Interstate MTP-65).
    It was a snug fit, but I wanted the biggest thing I could get in there.
    It has 1000 cranking amps at 32 degrees, and 850 at zero.
    30-month free replacement period.

Since my Jeep sits between snow events, I leave it hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  12. jme4158

jme4158 Junior Member
    from ny

i had a die hard platinum in my 06 TJ. it worked great! and if you look around you can find coupons to order online and pickup in store. when i bought it it was like $197 and they had a coupon for $20 off $200 so i added a screwdriver to put me over the $200 and got my discount.

13. EHoward19

EHoward19 Junior Member
    from Boston

The sears and Optima batteries are the best imo

14. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Thanx all! Got a $25 off coupon by ordering a Platinum on line pick up in store, n slipped a guy $20 for putting it in quick! Thanx again

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Wow am I cheap or what ??

I buy reconditioned batteries, been doing it for years. I pay $ 35.00 and they last for at least 3. Never had an issue with running the plows, lights, radio, salters, and what ever.

I always buy the biggest cold crank I can.

As for the deep cycle....are you planning on running it down ??? Better off getting a good charging system

17. theplowmeister

from MA

Thats fine. I run a plowing business if I am sidelined because of a dead battery I will loose thousands of $$

18. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Ditto

I am running four trucks and two salters.

My main concern, just like you is no break downs. However Interstate Batteries seem to have a great line of Recons. Just look up a warehouse location. I have yet to have one give me issues in 6 years running them. I do however at the beginning of the season have them check for cold amp checks. That to me is the bottom line.

Again, I have yet to have a battery be dead on a truck unless someone left a switch on...that is not a battery issue but operator and I am not above that standard.

19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

20. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Then what would you suggest we all use for constant draw/cycling at 30 amps + when plowing?