1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best bang for the buck

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by SamWJones13, Dec 14, 2009.

1. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

I'm just wondering what everyone's using for amber lights and driving lights. What works for you and what doesn't. I have a homemade back rack that I plan to put a dual flashing amber light (mini light bar) on and 2 off road lights facing forward and 2 smaller ones facing backwards, not necessarily on the back rack. Before I piss away my money, I wan't to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck. Not the cheap stuff, but not the most expensive, just for the sake of being expensive. Put pictures of your stuff up too. Thanks

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I used off road lights for the front (forget which brand but they were used). The back facing lights are just tractor lights and the strobes are Whelens that were in a housing in which I took them out of the housing and used the grote mounting cups. The center light bar is an ECCO one I bought used as well and took the original strobe heads out(had it's own controller that would only flash these) and swapped in whelen hide-aways that will be controlled by a 6 head whelen box.
    Click the link and you will see what I did.
    T.J.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=85256&highlight=head+ache+rack

3. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

Awesome looking rack you got there. Mine is similar without the built in lights. I have pretty much decided on a whelen mini light bar, I'm mostly looking for what off road lights work for well for these. I have 3 switches already on the dash already from the previous owner so it should be pretty easy hook up. I also have a flat 3" wide piece of steel welded to the top of the back rack that gives it a 1" overhang. I plan to drill and mount all the lights on there.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds good. Post some pics. If you are runninng off road lights do not just use a switch, use relays. I am using the Dick Cepek "pink" relay that is no longer made.
    T.J.

5. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

You're going to have to be easy on me, wiring and electrical is like rocket science to me. I know about positive and negative....that's about it. What exactly would I need to do to put a relay in? Chances are if I get these lights before the season's over, I'll just have my local shop do it for me. My truck won't fit into a regular garage and I'm not a big fan of workin on this crap in the cold. Then it's done right and when it goes wrong I've got someone to blame besides myself....

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Search relay on this site and tons of hits will come up. What relays do, is take the load off of the swtich and pull power directly from the battery to feed the accessory i.e your off-road lights.
    Here is my Dick Cepek relay. The other relays (black) control my plow lights as I built my own harness for the lights.
    T.J.,

[​IMG]

7. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

Well that helps shed a little light on it.. honestly I'll probably just take it to the shop. But thanks for the advice, do those tractor lights give off plenty of light? I was thinking of possibly putting two on the back rack and cut two into the rear bumper. Not sure if thats legal, but a couple cutouts for rectagonal lights in the bumper would would pretty much take care of the rust holes in it. Anyways, thanks for all the help, I'm a newbie so I take anything I can get.