1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best ballast solution

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ejsmass2, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ejsmass2

ejsmass2 Member

Ok folks,

Why is it so difficult to find a great ballast solution. In a perfect world it would be easy in and easy out. It would stay put and not have me drill too many holes in my truck. I could also still use the bed via the tailgate. I know sombody on here must have an easy solution I can buy. I live in MA so shipping heavy items from Colorado is out. Enlighten me. Why cant I find the perfect solution on the internet?

Thank in advance,
  2. T-O/Slim

T-O/Slim Junior Member

I just came up with a cheap easy solution to this problem, I run a fleet of 8 pick ups and 5 of wich dont have salters in them. (could make things alittle expensive trying to buy a ballast box, allthoe Western does offer one),

To start We only run GMC and Chev's so all of our beds have board devider slots. Ther slots in the mold of the bed that you can use to devide the bed with 2x10s. I sliped a 2x6 in the slot and notched a 2x10 to slide in the slot ontop. I then made braces out of 2x4s (triangular for extrem support, dont want them moving while staking piles).
    Thats the ballast devider to keep the wheight behind the wheals.

Then my idea was to use sand bags do to thier shier weight. Living in ontario, we live on sand and so I just dug the sand out of a hill, but clean fill would work just as well.

To stay with being cheap and inxepensive, and I live on a farm, Grain bags is what I used for my sand bags. I cut the bottom out of a bucket as my fill funnel. Filled the bags unti I thought it was heavy enough, then put the bag on a scale, looking for 130lbs-150lbs. once the proper weight was aquired I tied the bag up with binder twine, but any string will work. Besure to wrap the twine around the top a few times to ensure the not wont slip off.

Once I found that I had 900lbs (running an 07 western MVP Plus) I staked the bags in the back of the truck and all is well.

I measured the Ground clearence of the bull horns before the ballast and I had about 3"or 4" of ground clearnce (04 Chev 2500HD, stock susspention with timberins, 265/75/R16 trazonoes). After ballast was added (plow still off the ground and no negative rake) I had a full 6"-7" of ground clearnce.

Now call me crazy but if youve got the right "Rake", the right Ballast, and proper driving techniques, you should NEVER, have ground clearnece issues.

Just my 2 cents and I ideas.

The floor is left for any oppions and other ideas, "anyone else?"
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a bed mat in the trucks so when I put in bagged salt and tube sand it doesn't move. I tarp it and nothing freezes. Takes all of 10 mins to unload 800lbs.
  4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I made a brace with some 2x6 that goes to the back edge of the wheel wells. I put 60lb bags of tube sand in 35# kitty litter containers, one bag fits in one container. I have 4 of those and one bigger tote with 120lbs in it. I usually leave the tote in and take the smaller 4 out when the plow is off. Doesn't solve your problem of still being able to use the bed from the tailgate, but that's what I have.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've heard of guys bolting a heavy steal plate down. but that would not be easy out.
  6. dbduts

dbduts Member

I have 14 old elevator weights I use for my trucks .They are about 3 feet by 8 inches and about 1 inch thick.They weigh 85pds each and I just lay them in bed above the wheels and they dont move at all.They dont take up hardly any space.I suppose you could start saving old cutting edges and cut them in half and use them.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have #400 bumper that plugs into my recever hitch. goes in and out with a floor jack.
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have 400 pounds of sand that I put behind the rear wheel and brace in with a 2x6.
    Seems to work okay.
  9. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

timbren question

Hi everyone.

I have a chevy 2500 diesel 4x4
    The plow is a 7600 LT blizzard (7.5 feet)

I just had a set of timbrens put on 7 the truck still sags when I raise the plow. Is this normal ? Its the forst time I put them on a truck.

10. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

How about a pic of that bumper? Might save my box next time I get rammed!
  11. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I made a large concrete block with a hook, easy in/out if you have a bobcat, it weighs about 800#
  12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Just a couple of big chicks .....Cost beer & chips...
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Can always fill your tires with water. :dizzy:

Has anyone (besides the elevator weights) tried lead? Maybe even bolting or hooking it on the axle?
  14. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Neither of these solutions would work. You need the weight above the suspension.
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OK hear are the pictures

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yeah I thought about that after I posted. I don't have the problem so did not really think about it being above frame and posted in haste. :blush2:

That right there is the best I have seen ever. You should run to put a patent on it and start marketing. In fact if you can still do it maybe remove the pictures so no else takes the idea. ussmileyflag
  17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That is great idea.

How you melt lead and where you get those lead from tire shop?
  18. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

My fords have all had grooves in the sides of the bed also. I drop a 2x6 in behind the wheel well and then 6 each 60 lb sand bags. I drive with my tailgate down while plowing and have never lost a bag. ANd when I need sand for traction, it's right there.
  19. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Rubbermaid containers w/covers. Filled with sand salt mix. If I need it or get stuck I can shovel it out. Being in tubs no extra salt on my truck.
  20. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

This is the same way I store sand/salt in my Jeep Cherokee. 18 gallon Rubbermaid container(s).