1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best back drag blades?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SnowFakers, Jan 25, 2016.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I am starting to get sick of my 8'2 VXT leaving a bunch of packed snow left over when I back drag. More than half of my driveways go right to garages making me not able to push in to get a good scrape. I have the right pin height yadda yadda yadda. Its just the wet snow we get packs so easy that when the heavy plow gets on top thats all she wrote. I can try going back in with the blade down to try and scrape it up but almost never works? What have you guys used with success?

2. tar

tar Junior Member

I used to have that issue, then I went to a 9.2 and it made it a lot better, the extra weight is what helps

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I have the 9'2" & it still does it. A few things that help me are:

If the snow if stubborn or tracked down a bit, I will put the plow in a spear (^) & plow the snow towards the door; it will usually scrape down to the pavement.
    I stop about 6 feet from the door, lift the plow, open it to straight blade, drive forwards up to the door, then drop the plow & backdrag it all out a few times.

Other times I will leave it up, in a spear (^), & drive all the way up to the door, drop the plow & backdrag it out. Leaving it in the spear will scrape better going backwards because the return springs will work to keep the wings back & dig in more than if you backdrag in a -------- position.