1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best approach??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doin_It, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

As you can see I don't post alot, but I do alot of reading here, which has been very helpful.

So here's my deal/problem/question, I have one 9 acre parking lot, (corperate store) that I've been doing with my Cat 236B and a 10' Protech. Takes me 4-6 hours by myself, depending on inches, of course. Three or 4 times a winter I hire a friend to bring his Bobcat over and help on bigger snow falls.

They like the work I've done and are asking me to do another store which is 20-25 minutes away from the first one. This one is 6.5 acres. I can't leave equipment at the stores, just blades/pushers. SO........I'll need another power unit.

My Q is, would you go with another 236/246 and 10' pusher, or a small wheel loader like a Cat 904 or 906 with a 14' pusher. I have the ability to haul them on a truck and trailer, buckets only, leaving pushers at each store. I'm looking for what you guys think would be the fastest combination to get 15 acres cleaned up before opening. I'd have a 9 hour window with the 2 stores.

Thank you
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

First of all, the loader sizes you mentioned wont be able to handle any large accumulations with a 14 ft pusher. With that in mind I would opt for another s/s, depending on what my master plan would be in the off season.

Assuming you will have a second operator on the second site, Its not unheard of that some price a neighboring property a bit cheaper so they have a central location to park gear. I would look for another neighboring property and work out a deal which includes leaving the equipment there, if your current client is set on not having equipment left on site.

I'm actually suprised they wouldnt want the gear on site. Moving gear around in a snow storm is a huge PITA. Try to convince the client the benefits of having the gear on site. You'll be glad you did (if you dont need it for other work when its not snowing

You could also sub one of the sites to the guy who helps you on bigger storms, and have him hook up with you when he's done on the smaller site or vice versa.

Your other option would be to get a small loader for the bigger site your and put your s/s on the smaller site. Good luck woth your decision/dilemna. :drinkup:

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Could you put a plow on your truck? cutting your exsisting lot down to 2 - 3hrs, maybe less?... SS's & trucks working 2gether boost production BIG TIME... with SS & truck running(assuming you are hiring another operator in this scenario)....have a pusher sitting at your other lot, therefore when done with first lot, load SS on trailer, pull to next site and do it again taking even less time on second smaller place? buying another pusher & a blade for a truck would be a heck of alot cheaper than getting another machine & pusher. And with you being there at all times, you would have the ability of monitoring your operator (whether in truck or SS), making sure things are going smooth.
  4. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Thanks for the 2 replys so far. I have "no use" for the skidsteers in the summer. I do landscape maintainence only . I take care of about 50 properties, with 1 employee. By adding on this new lot I'd would then be able to keep that person on full time. I had Ford with a Fisher 8'6" XV SS, but after I wrote it off, blade and truck, I rented a SS and found it to be faster, and way preferred it to a P/U and blade, but maybe I'll consider that route again. Nothing but cash...................
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would opt for a truck and plow.
    Faster to get between the 2 lots.
  6. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Sounds like 1 truck 1 SS, will have to trade in the F550, its a manual and plowing with that big beast (crew cab, 11' deck) would be to much work.
  7. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

just wondering how you have a nine hour window? what if its still snowing while open? if it takes you 4 hours to clear and hour to load and transport by the time you get to the other site you could have 4-8 inches of sonw on the ground. and the same for when you get back to the first property.
  8. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

If it's still snowing when they open you keep pushing through the storm, 1 at each place.. No customer expects it cleared where the cars park, just the drive areas.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Pickup with blade. No other way to do it if you can't leave equipment on site.
    Allows you to drop the one SS off at the big lot and run and do the other one.

And doing cleanup with both as someone said is AWESOMELY effective. Much more so than two trucks or two SS's

Plus, having a fuel tank in the pickup (with tools) allows you to stay running (hopefully) when something breaks, runs out of fuel, etc.

BTW, is that lot 25 minutes away by truck or by SS? lots of traffic, little traffic?
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009