1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best 2 Stage Hydrostat Snowblower for Walks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i'm looking for a snowblower that is a hydro drive...i'm curious to see what people have to say, we just need some nice snowblowers that are almost a luxury to use, last storm was a nightmare...i've seen hydro drive, hand warmers, electric chute, etc...also curious on what width you guys recommend? speed is also very important...
  2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

My vote is for a Honda HS724. It has a headlight but not alot of other doodads but it will last a long time and you cant beat Hondas engines. It has the hyrdro drive. They cost double the amount of their competitors for a reason.
  3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I am with you on the last 2 storms we had. Depending on what you have for walks, we have about 40 city blocks, go to your John Deere implement dealer. Look at their heavy duty commercial blowers, select the size that best fits your needs. Don't get hung up on bells and whistle's,, just problems. A good headlight and electric start is good to go!
  4. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Simplicity Pro--no hydro (yet?) but really a work horse and has the bells and whistles--throws snow and doesn't climb
  5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

man, it was rough...made me realize how many walks we actually have...it's crazy how much you have to change up your strategy when you get a deep wet snow, can't use single stages...at all

we do have a great john deere dealer in town, that's who i would like to use...looks like they are pushing hondas, i know they used to have frontier on the floor

i don't need all the bells and whistles, if it comes with it then cool, but i'm mainly looking for speed and ease...i like the idea of electric start, but if you have to have power with it such as an outlet, then what's the point?

should i definitely get tracks over wheels? what about dual wheels?

i was also under the impression that the hydro drive would be the same concept as a mower, but it looks like it's more of a mix between a gear drive and hydro, you still have to adjust your speed with a lever
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

wheels are fine--simple is good--what I would focus on most is finding a machine that has a design such that it can move a lot of snow without pushing or climbing--the simplicity has a clutched second stage that adjusts for snow density to keep engine RPMS steady. this helps keep production and performance steady through a range of conditions--provided you are in the correct gear for the amount and type of snow
  7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Picked up this used this year. Best thing I ever bought. Clears walks in one pass. Only trouble is that its so tough to move. Ramps/liftgate/trailer are necesary.
  9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to agree with Dstosh on this one. Didn't think Cub cadet/mtd could build anything worthwhile till this. After three years, it handled all snows without clogging. It is not a hydro but has finger touch steering. It is hard getting used too but once mastered you will not be stopped. It will climb stairs if the staircase is wide enough by pushing down on the handles and lifting up the auger. The biggest disadvantage is the weight of the auger/blower, it catches everything out there like cracks. Also you go through a set of guide tracks and cutting edge every year. You think that plastic spout will break off with ice or rocks but after 3 years it is still new. A honda engine would be ideal, but that 23 hp briggs never gave us trouble except it does like to stop at gas stations. Another thing was if you didn't brush the snow off the cables for the throttle and spout deflector, the snow would melt and then later refreeze the cable(Ariens did this too) I would definitely buy another. It would be a bear to pick up with three men, one guy can't manhandle it
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

If you have that many sidewalks look into a cabbed unit like a small subcompact tractor with a front mount blower.
  11. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I used a 16.5 horse Ariens a few storms back..It never even lugged down in 8" of sloppy wet snow. It even "blew" a puddle of standing melt water...I was impressed. It wasn't a "luxury" to use, but it sure did what it was supposed to do.
    But as someone else advised, a small 4x4 tractor with a cab and a front mounted blower would be so much better than any conventional snow blower...I say explore that idea.