1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent VXT Plow mount frame

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Helldyce, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

First snow push with my new Boss 9.2 VXT and I clipped a curb with the right wing and after that the plow was tilted on the truck and would not scrape the pavement on the left hand side of the plow. When the plow was in the vee position the right wing cutting edge tip would drag the pavement when exiting a drive. When the plow was in straight position the left wing cutting edge tip was 4" higher than the right wing cutting edge tip. I called my dealer and told him what happened and he told me to bring it in so they could fix it for me. They went ahead and replaced the plow frame for me. They cut me a deal on the price and told me they would sell it to me at their cost and 2 hours labor to install the plow frame onto the plow. I asked them for the old frame, now when I look at it I think I might put it in a press and see if I can bend it back in to spec.and beef it up with thicker gussets. Boss uses 2 different steel gauges 1/4" and 3/16". The smaller 3/16" material is used to box in and gusset the frame. Why? (money,weight) The dealer told me that the frame is made to bend to keep you from damaging your truck frame. Huh! I didn't know that. Well looks like the money I made that night is already spent.payup
    Here are the pictures.:cry:

2. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

More pictures

Here are more pictures from my other post.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

DANG, you hit that hard! Cost ya a A-frame and a set of cutting edges. The dealer is correct. If it is built like a tank for a pickup the pickup will loose and the attachment will win. Its almost sad stuff has to be build like that but in all reality its just the way it has to be.
  4. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Boss A-frames are weak and they know it! Do a search on here, lots of bent A-frames. I like Boss plows but dont know why they dont beef up the A-frame. Western Contractor grade plows are over built, why cant Boss catch on?
  5. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

I was only driving about 6 maybe 7 mph in an apartment complex, you can't go to fast in there when people maybe backing out of parking spots or walking out. I did not have to replace the cutting edge, thank god. I think they could of made the WHOLE frame out of 1/4" material instead of the thinner material too. I'm still going to try and straighten out the bent one and study it better where it stressed. I know it was my fault and I don't expect the plow to be a bulldozer, but as you know we all do hit objects while plowing and I think that this is a lesson for me to even be more careful. If it happens again in the future I quess I will have that beefier back up plow frame made to my specs. wesport
  6. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

SMillerHD, Funny you mention that. My dealer said that the company would not warranty this, but then he told me he should check to see if he had a plow frame in stock, because they have been replacing them. He then came out from the garage and said that I'm taking his last one since they just put another push frame on another 9.2' VXT yesterday! I told him you better order more now. Boss uses the same push frame part number on their 7.6",8.2",9.2" RT3 plows. I think I would want a stronger push frame on the wider plows since it carries more weight and it is wider which amounts to more lateral stress.
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Interesting. Very interesting. I have accidently done some stupid stuff with my VX-T and have not had anything like this...thank god. Better luck next time, and be careful.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The push frames are a fuse, they always have been on the RT3 V's. If they didn't give something much more expensive and tougher to repair would. During the RT2 days when the push frames were built like a tank there were many bent truck frames since they were previously the weak link. Once the RT3's were out bent truck frames became non existent.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Like said above they are ment to bend and give thats the reason they are weak. Be glad it bent. B&B is correct.
  10. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Thanks B&B, Monroe Truck Equipment. was correct then when they stated that to me. I won't second quess them again. I guess I should not beef up that old frame then. I might still try to straighten it with a hydraulic press without heating it. I'm sure it would still be weaker than a new part and have that weak point since it was already bent once. Have you seen or heard of anyone repairing them?

P.S. I like reading your posts here on the forum. Your advice and knowledge are very valuable here. I just want to thank you for your time and effort with helping everyone including myself. :drinkup:Tony
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, anything can be hammered back into shape but only as a temporary repair to get you by because they're just never quite the same afterward and will bend again easier the next time. And I don't recommend reinforcement as a means to toughen them up and make them hold their shape as that removes the so called "fuse", making the next possible impact possibly very expensive.

Plus it's tough to get them nearly perfect again and keep them that way which of course is important on a V especially otherwise you end up with premature and/or uneven edge wear thus adding more expense to a plow repair you thought was fixed. Doesn't matter what brand it is either, Boss, Meyer, Western, Fisher whatever. I have had better results after straightening XV and MVP frames (since they're easier to straighten) but they still have lingering issues afterward as well.
  12. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Gotta chime in here. I have an 8.2 on a GMC. Spend all morning looking, adjusting, playing etc. My driver side wing doesn't touch the ground either. When on the concrete - level position the driver side is up about an inch, when in V it is about 2+ inches, when I scoop it the plow is level - or the cutting edge is all on concrete - So what I am reading above my problem could me a bent plow frame?
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's possible. Need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Should be able to see it visibly with the plow detached and some quick checks with a tape measure.
  14. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

They use the same everything pretty much, as far as I can tell ... lift cylinders, trip springs and their capacities, motors, power units, hydraulics and pressures and their capacities, etc. So what you get is a very strong & fast smaller & shorter plow and a 9'2" VXT that is often overwhelmed by the snow load it carries.
    It's been bitterly cold here the last few plows (-25 to -30C) ... lots of snow but the moisture has been sucked out of it by the frigid temps ... and the VXT has performed flawlessly and stacking like crazy with seemingly little effort. But it does/can get frustrating with the wet heavy stuff when it's much milder.
    All that said, this VXT impresses me a little more overall the more I use it and get use to it. The trail busting capability of this thing is utterly mind blowing ... it will punch a hole through nearly anything & everything I've thrown at it ... with surprising ease; the Cummins barely having to break a sweat. The long, twisty, narrow goat paths that I once dreaded some days are now a joy to push through ... the more snow the better. I should be taking vids cuz I doubt few would believe some of the stuff this VXT has punched through.
    Like anyone that plows enough, I've had a few pretty hard hits so far too and was surprised I couldn't find any damage whatsoever ... one must have hit something very hard to actually bend something ... or catch it just the "right way" ... or "wrong way" in this case. Pretty tough actually much to my surprise. I'd take a bent A-frame over a bent or broken truck frame anyday.
  15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I had a similar problem with mine. Had to take the plow apart to see the problem. I plowed for a couple storms beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the problem. Changed out the A frame and it was a tight new plow again.
  16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea thats what it looked like to us . Very Good hinge system; and a poor A frame design.............. I could never figure out why they have it sitting so low to the ground with very little clearance from the A frame tubes to the ground ???? It would seam like if the A frame was up higher it would have some advantages ??? But I guess the Boss Engineers know best so there must be a darn good reason why it isnt
    Glad you got it straighten out and hope that is the last time you get into that snarl!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  17. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I have seen broken welds on a western pro plus "contractor grade" a frame as well

18. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Makes sense. Sucks it has to be that way but I guess better a bent A-frame than your truck frame.

Too bad it had to happen on your first storm with a brand new plow. Must have hit it just right, I have barrelled through a few things and luckily mine is still good. Oh well, if that's the worst that happens you're in good shape:drinkup:
  19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ya nothing is perfect. I agree with many of the above posts. The performance of the Boss is great, I just wish they'd use trip edges and double acting cyl's.
  20. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Its all good. I got it fixed the next day. I must of hit the curb enough to shove the wing back and then it could not move any more since it came to the stop and then it had enough pressure still applied to tweak the frame. Something is going to give and I'm glad it wasn't my new truck frame. I still believe in Boss plows and I would not own any other plow.