1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent undercarriage AGAIN

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Plowin@8800', Jan 23, 2008.

1. Plowin@8800'

Plowin@8800' Junior Member

This is the third year running the 860HD Great plow, but last year I bent the h*** out of the undercarriage mount- had to replace it, now I'm seeing the new one doing the same thing:realmad:.
    I plow about a mile of 'county' dirt road (The county has a maintenance plan, all right, a ZERO maintenance plan) for my own and my neighbors access- LOTS of stacking, LOTS of drifts. The truck is lifted 3", and I've never been happy with the angle of the blade, (can't get the push beam far enough down to get the A-frame level). I quit 'ram and slam' plowing after the bend last year, but here it is happening again. Does anyone know if the A-Frame being so high (~2") can cause this?
    I'm considering having angle iron welded on to take some of the stress. Any thoughts?

2. smithplowrepair

smithplowrepair Junior Member

First of all, plows are designed and engineered, not just built. If you stiffen the a-frame, the sector could give way and push through the plow face, or, you could sever the pins/bolts and reck other parts. You need to take it to someone that knows plows and see what your best options are. If you want, send me some pics of the plow on and in the down position and I'll tell you what a professional thinks. smithplowrepairs@yahoo.com

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

What vehicle is it on?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My personel opinion is, if you how to fix the problem yourself do it. We have lots of designed stuff on the farm and for snow, that we change to make stronger or more fuctional. We are pretty familiar with fabricating stuff though and you only learn by doing. JMO

5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I totally agree with what you said. I am the same way.

6. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I have seen alot of lifted trucks with snowplows and I've never seen one that hasnt had a problem. Personally I think anytime you lift a truck your just asking for problems anyway with the truck itself ...not to mention when you put a plow on it.

I run Blizzards and on my personal truck I have the 860HD So I know what you have and I am curious to know when your "ram and slam" plowing are you sure your rammin snow? I could not imagine the kind of hit it would take to bend the undercarriage to the point that you would need a new one. Is it the cross bar or the thrust plates that you bent? I would love to see some pics of what this looks like.

On lowering the undercarriage it can be done and is very simple if you have a little mechanical know how a torch and a welder.

If you can post sum pics ...Im curious as to what your undercarriage looks like.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ford truck?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

PR, I think you might recieve a few comments on that one...;)
    Maybe a '96 F350 by any chance?

9. Plowin@8800'

Thanks for all of the input, here are some answers toyour questions/comments, and a few pics. The truck is a '96 F350 Crew, 460, 3.55 gears. The Ram & Slam I was referring to was my inept manner fof getting trough 3'-4' deep drifts.
    I put in a Lock-Right this summer- great product, now I can go through the tall drifts with the blade ~1-2' off of the ground the first pass, and lower it each time through- It takes more time, but is much easier on everything. The drifts up here are seriously compacted by the time I get to plowing them.
    If I'm going to make an adapter up fto drop the push bar, I'd want to make it to support the Undercarriage adapter all the way up to the rear frame bolt.
    I'm attaching pics of the bent frame from last year, and an example of how tall my plow piles get.
    Mark Haynes
    '96 F350 Crew 860HD

Truck in slot.jpg

left front.jpg

right front.jpg

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your plowing that driveway in the picture above, I can now see why your push frame is bent. I think Mark O will agree that this is an extreme case where a V blade will be better or maybe a snowblower. Those drifts are huge!!!!!!

11. Plowin@8800'

:nod: Yep, That's my road, Just after a 2' snow with a 125 mph wind the following evening.-What fun!

12. purpleranger519

from Kansas

13. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I think CAT makes a great bulldozer

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I don't understand why you don't have a Vee blade with that kind of snow!! I didn't realize Blizzard made there push frames out of sheetmetal!

15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

probably don't know what I'm talking about but I think you are missing the bolts on the top of the leaf spring according to the picture. See the empty holes. I think you need a bolt on both sides of the leaf spring and that holds the bracket from moving back and forth. I had a western plow on a 1969 Chev c-10 that had a setup like that. Maybe Jerre will come on here and comment.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ya think??? :eek: :nod:

Ditto

Blizzard doesn't. While IMO it is the weak point in the plow, they are by far not sheet metal.

No flame intended, but that is abuse. At least you didn't post that Blizzards suck because the frame keeps breaking, etc. Fab something up on your own if you're going to keep plowing in those types of conditions. I really don't think a 2" lift is excessive, shouldn't be too difficult to prevent this in the future.

17. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Looks to me like you need a heavier duty setup, or at least a v plow! :salute:

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

19. Plowin@8800'

I know that these are extreme conditions, however, a V-Blade won't cut it. There's nowhere to put the snow - the road is lower than the surrounding ground area for about half of the length of the road. I have to push the drifts bit by bit to the next plow-out. purplebou
    I can't knock the Blizzard plow, I love it! I'm just trying to figure out how far I have to go in the fabrication process before I start, and whether ther's something that I've missed.
    And no, I'm not missing any cross bolts in the spring- other than a little 1/4"-20 that holds tha springs from separating and squeaking, but thanks anyway.:jester:

20. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I used to have an 8' wide 5' tall 2 stage snowblower mounted on an 8600 Ford tractor. This setup is what you need to keep your road open. There just isn't a good way to stack that kind of snow with a blade. The snowblower I had would take a 6' drift and just keep going. A plow just isn't the right equipment in every situation. I sold the blower for $900.00 and I bet if you look around you could pick one up very reasonable. If someone you know has a 100HP tractor, you could possibly work something out between the two of you. I have been plowing for more than 30 years and believe you me you need a blower for that kind of snow:cool: Hope this is helpful, Al