1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent trip edge 8'6" Xtreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Anyone have any issues with this? I noticed this last year but it was not nearly this bad. Now after two small storms this year this is what it looks like. WTF?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Wow! It looks like you hit something pretty hard in that corner......but yet not. How old is the plow?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's impossible. It's widely known that trip edges will protect your plow from any and every obstacle, regardless of size.

Save transmissions too....
  4. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

is that a home made edge? never seen one like that. The center edges are suppose to have a thin edge that over laps the rest of the cutting edge. It helps keeps the whole cutting edge lined up straight.
  5. BoulderBronco

The plow is three years old. This will be it's fourth winter. I am very careful with my equipment and have never slammed anything aside from the standard manhole cover or maybe hitting a curb as I push snow over it. The worst I've hit is probably a curb that I was a fraction of a second late on the brake for stopping.
    The edge is a "homemade" edge but that has nothing to do with it. All the dimensions and angles are exactly the same. The metal piece you are referring to I don't think has any bearing on it either. It's just there to cover the small gap between the center edge and the outer edge when you do edge adjustments. It doesn't position the edge in any way.
  6. bbct001

bbct001 Member

The Fisher edges overlap each other, so the smaller inner edge is supported by the outer edge. I think by dropping that overlap, you lost a lot of the support for the 2 smaller edge sections.

Just my 2 cents, by no means an engineer:)
  7. BoulderBronco

Hmmm. That actually makes sense to me. Never thought of it like that. I think you may be on to something.
  8. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

thats what i was trying to say lol
    that edge is a bad idea.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Agreed on the overlap.

That and what kind of steel did you use? Just regular steel isn't going to cut it. :laughing:

10. BoulderBronco

The compound of the steel has nothing to do with the plow edge bending. A lower carbon steel which is what I used, just makes the edge wear a bit faster (not very noticable).
    The more I think about that overlap the more I question it. I mean it makes sense at first but I find it hard to believe that that little piece of 1/4" will strengthen those inner edges that much. Seems to me if I was using the normal edges that those 1/4" overlaps would just bend as well. I mean the plow edge is 3/8" thick and it is obviously bent on both sides. Know what I mean? But I guess it's the only legitimate explanation of why I have this problem.
  11. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

When you installed the new blade did you make sure that where the two blades meet in the middle had a 1/8" gap? It looks to me like when you were in scoop those two edges came together and twisted the crap out of the trip edge support
  12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I have noticed that mine seems to get ice and rock just above the cutting edge which makes it look like its bent sometimes too. I also have to agree on the homemade edge.
  13. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

my inner edges bent once when I caught on a rock frozen in the dirt, I took it of put it in the 100 ton press at work and got it back to the right position, like the others said I think that the lack of overlap created a weak spot
  14. BoulderBronco

I'm back. New FACTORY edge with new trip edge two years ago when I first started this post. So after one and a half seasons (this season has been very dry) I yet again have a bent trip edge. I am not hitting anything abnormally. BUT. When I do hit a manhole cover or the like the plow does not trip, it just slams the manhole cover and flies up in the air. It's always done that. It has never tripped like the straight blades would. This is especially true when whatever it is your hitting hits the middle of the plow. This is not in "V" either. This is in the straight position. Now I have another bend edge and I've already replaced it once. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this problem. Fisher, where are you on this?
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

This is the first I have seen this and I have the same plow and we have a lot that is not finished yet with 5 manhole covers that get whacked every storm. We know they are there and take are time but it is still a decent jolt to the trip edge.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who's the girl?
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I never seen anything like that before not to mention twice. And this is coming from a guy that tears everything up
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You quoting Madonna now?
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

She's a troll.
  20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have hit a manhole hard and fast enough with the center of my exV to miss 20 feet of snow and not have this happen. First time out on new site, funny thing is if I plow the opposite direction you don't even know it is there. You are doing something wrong.