1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent spreader hitch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RhinoL&L, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I just bought this mini pro and tried to put it in my hitch but it wont go in all the way because it is bent. It goes in a few inces but then the spreader will hit the tailgate and it wont go far enough to get the pin in. How do you guys think I can fix this? I dont want to have to buy a whole new piece. Also, I have pics but dont know how to resize them.
    Thanks Shawn

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

find exactly were its bent heat it up with a torch untill red hot then staighten it. A cresent wrench works real good for that.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shawn if you want me to resize the pics for ya, shoot me a pm and I'll resize them and post them. That will make it easier to offer advice as to how to fix it.

4. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Im not sure how to get them into the pm to send them to you. I drag it into the box and then it shows up but i cant press enter or send or anything. do you know how i can get them on there? Sorry but im not to good with comps
    Thanks Shawn

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

PM sent.:D

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the pics Shawn sent me. Look's like a pretty simple fix. You could either remove the flat plate and the receiver tube and heat up the plate and "massage" it back into shape or make/have made a new plate and tube and just bolt the replacement back on (after straightening the 2 angle brackets of course) or you could buy the plate and receiver tube as a replacement part from the spreader manufacture. Any of these way would work out fine.

untitled 1.JPG

untitled.JPG

spreader 1.JPG

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

as said either buy a new hitch from the man. or unbolt the four bolts go to a weld shop and have a new one made. I would not try to stqighten the flat piece as that big of 1/2" stock will take quite a bit of heat to get it to move.

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

OUCH.... that had to hurt yes best bet replace that part what about the front part of the gard had to be a rear end or back up hit. Easy fix ......

10. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Not an uncommon bend RhinoL&L. What you need to do is remove the four mounting bolts and take the hitch bar to anyone that has a hydraulic press and have the straighten it out for you. You will more then likely have to work a bit to reinstall the new mounting bolts as the framework sometimes doesn't spring back all the way.
    :rolleyes: John...

11. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Also thanks again to B&B for resizing and posting the pics. I think ill talk to a friend who does welding and other metal work. Im sure hell be able to fix it one of the ways you guys mentioned. Thanks for all the help.