1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent push frame.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MadeintheShade, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

so last storm I noticed that the right side of my truck lifted up first when dropping the plow. and after plowing for 13 hrs with it the right cutting edge is worn probably an extra inch over the left side. so after further inspection the truck side frame is fine as is the light bar. however the push frame is tweaked.

what I'm trying to figure out is how this happened. I havent hit any curbs, blocks etc. I was doing one lot that had some manhole covers that were pretty vicious but i knew where they were and hit them at an idle in 1st (maybe 3mph). No one else drives my truck and one guy straight up called me a liar that I didnt hit anything. I did almost hit him but honestly seems like these should be stronger than this?

any ideas as to how it might of happened and what i might do to straighten it out?

would lifting the down side with a skid put too much force on the truck frame.

just looking for ideas

thanks

2. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Because the A-frames are junk on the Boss plows, VERY common! Bet your dealer has a new one in stock...

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I just put $2200 into my plow after gradually destroying it - the push frame was a piece of it - also the center piece, center pin, drivers side wing, drivers side cylinder... it was a good one. Never hit anything all that hard, but the plow was weak around the bottom of the center hinge from some repair last year when the center pin retaining bolt broke and the center pin got ejected about 15" out of the hinge. Had to heat it up to get it back into alignment to reinsert the center pin and that's where it failed. I'm sure I have another weak spot just like that one on the other side.

This time around, I ended up hitting a small stump fairly hard - it was super cold out and that was the last straw. Ripped the mould board where it meets the hinge.. When the mould board gave, it hit the cylinder. Hydro fluid everywhere... Ended up tweaking everything on the drivers side between the cutting edge and the truck side mount. That was the best part though - at least the plow ate all the damage and the truck is fine.

One nice thing to note - except for some scraped paint, my three year old wing looks just like the new one. And I can skip the fluid change this year! I have the damaged components back at my house - if I ever get a hour with nothing to do I'll take some pics and post them. You guys'd get a kick out of it.:drinkup:

:laughing:

4. Kys03Rigger

Kys03Rigger Junior Member

what is the "better" a frame then? I think the boss design works pretty well.

5. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

hmm push frame cost?? or the cost of your truck frame getting straightened??? yeah i'll buy push frames whenever i bend those so hint hint guys that why boss made it that way previous designs didnt flex and tore up truck frames

6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

just saw a guys a frame yesterday on a V older style snapped the right side completely off

7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Just broke the front collar off my push frame after 4 years of service. I agree that I would rather the push frame go then my truck frame.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Why can;t boss amke a cheaper "fuse" other than the aframe. I wouldn't want my truck frame bent but you think they could have a cheaper part fail other than the aframe.

9. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Western makes a beefy A-frame on the Contractor grade plows, funny I have yet to see a bent truck frame story...

Cheap and weak is cheap is weak! The A-frame needs beefed up, simple as that!