1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent plow trip springs won't tension

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Feb 21, 2014.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I don't know if my plow is bent or not. I have a 9' meyers lot pro, my trip springs keep breaking and I don't know if its a result of the springs being to old or what. So when one would break, I would buy a new one and try to put it on. I don't know if they sold the wrong size trip springs cause they seem a lil bigger than what's on there. But anyway, I got the springs on and tension them as good as I can. I had to take the bottom bolt off the eye bolt to get the tension right. Not realizing that I change the angle of the plow, I went out to work and while plowing, a lot of snow flew onto my windshield blinding me.
    My question is, are my trip springs supposed to have tension, can I fix this problem by welding a plate of metal on the spot where the moldboard meats the frame? Should I buy a new moldboard, or should I buy all new trip springs and run it with no tension? Just trying to find a quick cheap and effective fix, ill get a new moldboard if I absolutely have to.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You should be able to just slide a business card between the coils

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If your plow is angled back you have problems with the sector or the moldboard being damaged/bent.

Picture's would be helpful.

And 2x on what Wiffy said.

4. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I don't know what's wrong with it. The plow started doing this after a horrible icy snow storm. When I tension it that much, it changes the angle of the moldboard. The angle of the plow is now making a lot of snow fly onto my windshield. I think the frame is bent backwards, so I'm just going to weld a strip of metal in between the moldboard and pivot bar. Just wandering if this is a smart idea or not?

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Take some pictures of it.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I would advise against adding a piece on bar stock to change the angle of the blade. The plow was designed to run at determined approach angle to allow the blade to trip properly. Changing/winging the approach angle will have the blade not tripping correctly and could cause further damage to the plow or pickup. Your problem is not uncommon in the rust belt.

Show us some pics and from there sound advise can be given.

7. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I'll take some pics, it's just in my garage right now. Ill post some tomorrow.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I can't help myself, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. How does a person own any brand of plow and not know how to spell it? MEYER does not have an "S" anywhere in it.

9. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Men that nitpick and have "pet peeves" should usually keep their comments in the closet. LOL!!! My wife does that typa ****. Where I come from, the spelling don't matter, what matter is. if you got a pocket or bank full of money. Nobody cares about your "pet peeves" this a place to talc abowt biseness, not your pet peeves, so please refrain from posting unless you can come up with unsweetened comments. THANX PAL!!!

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Was spelling "optional" where you went to school?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll do well here with that attitude. Enjoy your f'ed up plow.

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Who elected you the Spelling Nazi?

The Grammar Gestapo.

13. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

LOL!!! Spelling nazi,,, that's some funny ****... Good one! And thanks Mark13, I'm just loving the f,ed up plow. HAHA!!! I think ill just weld a strip of metal to chalk the plow out to its correct angle so I can get tension on the springs.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Let him do it. I want to see what happens.

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like there could be a problem with the pivot pins froze, or it has extended beyond the stop.....

17. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Does anybody have a solution to my problem? Will new pivot pins solve my problem? It does look bent back, but when I get tension on the springs it pulls the plow too far back.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If you really want help, post a few pics

19. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Maybe the pivot pins could be bent. If I weld a strip of metal, it's not going to stop the plow from tripping. It's to correct the angle of the plow. It's a angle iron that I will cut a strip off and weld it to the pivot bar. I will weld Only if the pivot bar is bent.

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'll help, a few pics of the plow