1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent pins-again (Western)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ogrebonz, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

Seems like every time I go to remove the plow from my truck the cotter pins that secure the hitch pins are bent. Every time I straighten them back out, or replace them. It must be that the hitch pins are turning and twisting the cotter pins against the frame. Even though I do keep an eye on them I think it's just a matter of time before one of them falls out and I loose a hitch pin. (Probably find it with the mower next summer) Is there a cure for this? I'm considering drilling the hole a bit larger and using a lynch pin. :help:

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is this for 1973 F100?

I am not surprise that it happened but I suggested do not put big pins because you never know if hit something in snow will enough to break or bend frame on f100. Why they put that pin and bend because it prevent from damaging to truck's frame but worse when they can get shred pin it will be hardest to remove it.

I notice you visit King of Obsolete I do know his but he sure got lot snow than here.

3. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

It's not the hitch pins (the big pin that holds the plow to the truck) that are bending, it's the cotter pins that keep the hitch pins in place.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wire wheel and grease the pins. This will help to keep the plow from putting pressure on the hair pins when it turns the attaching pins in their holes.

But for more reliability, ditch the hair pins and drill them for lynch pins. :nod:

5. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Instead of the cotter pins use linch pins, they are alot stronger.

6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

you try putting washers in between?

7. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

No, never tried washers. I assume you mean between the cotter pins and the hitch pins. Though I can't see how this might stop them from turning.

8. jeeps rule

jeeps rule Junior Member

lynch pins

I would go to the local farm supply and find some lynch pins that fit your hitch pins or get some hitch pins that would accept the lynch pins...

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

While I am sure you do not mean a cotter pin I know what clip you are talking about.

On my old Western conventional this happened after plowing over the snow piles.

I drilled and got lynch pins after a while.
    Depending on where your hole is on the pin you may have to drill a new one above that just a bit to get the ring over the top.

The last year I used that plow I did find some plow pins that had 2 holes pre-drilled and accepted the lynch pin with doing nothing else.

I found them at a Boss dealer but they fit just the same and had a lot of dust on the pack but the guy was happy to sell em.

10. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

I went to the hardware and found a couple of lynch pins that fir the holes in the hitch pins without drilling. I've plowed twice with it so far and nothing bad has happened yet. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks!