1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent my truck frame

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by MItoplock, Feb 9, 2008.

1. MItoplock

MItoplock Junior Member

Was plowing the other day and something went horribly wrong. There I was in my driveway plowing the right side of my driveway with the blade angled to the right and it felt like the blade tripped forward and back. Snow got on the windshield, so I turn the wipers on. Thats when I realize my plow lights are gone and I hear a grinding sound. So I turn the truck off and attempt to get out. The door is jammed shut, and the passenger side is also jammed shut. So I now have to climb threw the window. I finally get to look at the damage. Both of the front forks on my truck frame bent about 6 inches down. After cussing uncontrollably I had to attach the plow chain higher to raise the plow. No idea what happened. But I managed top hook chains to the plow frame and a large tree and tug the tree until the frame was close to where it should be. Then had to weld in some metal to my truck frame for support. I use some 1 inch steel plates for support. When I pulled the frame back out it unstuck the doors and the only problem left was cooling fan hitting the fan shroud. So I replaced it with an electric fan. All this happened at 5 mph.
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

That stinks, what year and model of truck and what kind of plow?
  3. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

The same happened to mine. I run a 2001 Dodge Ram with a new (10-2007) Pro Plus Western plow and the Ultra Mount. I had a wing problem earlier and now the blade didnt trip and the frame on the truck bent. I was not abusing it but did make contact with the edge of a sidewalk. It was in the shop getting the frame straightened and the representative from the supply shop came down to look at it. No word yet from Western. Funny thing is (Not really funny) last night I stopped over to check on it and the owner of the shop now has a 2006 Dodge with a bent frame, you guessed it, Western plow Ultra mount. He is not happy either. Is anyone else having these issues with the Ultra mount? I have never had problems with Western plows for 20 years, now this thing is killin me. Getting tired of doing all the residentials with an ATV :)
  4. MItoplock

MItoplock Junior Member

It's an Arctic snow plow, the truck is a 1987 Ford F-150. But I plowed with it after the frame was reinforced with the steel and it's solid again. I also welded the plow frame right the to truck frame as a added measure. Do to the truck's age and the plows age is why I welded it to the truck.
  5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Easygn, were the trucks 1500 series or 2500/3500?
  6. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

The truck is a 2500 series. Took a trip to the frome shop and they straightened. No issues now. All ready for this coming season... Bring on the snow!