1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent mvp a frame

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JRBooth, Dec 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. JRBooth

JRBooth Junior Member

Hey fellas, I recently bought a used western mvp plow at a great price however, the A frame is slightly bent so that the plow sets lower on one side. Has anyone had this problem and have you found a solution? Can it be bent back and re-enforced? Cost involved? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Aside from spending big bucks on a new a-frame, one thing I did for a guy I know was to plasma cut (slot) out the holes on the cutting edge till the edges layed flat, bolted edge back in place and welded the top of the edge to the moldboard with some 1" stitch welds to keep it from moving. Kindof a half assed way to solve the problem, but it worked.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Take it to a body shop and have them straighten it on the frame rack.

4. JRBooth

JRBooth Junior Member

Hey Got -h2o, I never thought of dropping the cutting edge. I thought about modifying the mount to even things out but I think the best answer is to have a body shop straighten it out. Does anyone have any idea what that might cost?

5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Sure it is bent enough to matter? That center rubber flap on the MVP will hold the plow up a little if you just drop it down in place. Push it or back drag slightly and the rubber rolls slightly to give you your true edge to surface contact. That and making sure the plow is set for the height of your truck makes a big difference on your cutting edge contact..

6. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same problem with mine. I bought it used and had to rebuild a compleat wing. the way I fixed it was to put 2 new cutting edges on it and then found a road and ran it down the road at 65mph for about a mile then got out and checked it. it ground the edge down perfect. just make sure to have the blade tilted in the direction that is touching first. dont run down the road with the blade straight, if you catch a lip in the road it will rip the plow right off the truck, it happened to a guy i know. after doing that my plowm cuts great. this will also grind the rubber flap down to match as well. concret is the best

7. JRBooth

JRBooth Junior Member

I ended up taking it to a plow service shop and they said it could be heated and bent back but it would be alot weaker . They offered to re-enforce it with some bracing to help. Said it would look ugly. Im sure they know what they are doing, Im just wondering if anyone out there has done this with their A frame and had a good outcome? Any pics?

8. posse_99

posse_99 Junior Member

Picked up a similar "good deal" just last month. Am going to try to put some tension on the twist by pulling sideways on the top of the center hinge tower until the blade hangs straight and then applying some heat and maybe adding some bracing. not sure where the twist really is yet though, if its in the hinge tower or the a-frame or some of both, i suspect. Hadn't thought about just adjusting the cutting edges, that will be my plan 'b'.

9. chad5.0

chad5.0 Junior Member

Took my A-frame off and took it to a machine shop with a big press. No big deal and they did it without heating it. Cost me $50 and the plow sits flat again.