1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent horizontal hinge pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mike custom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

Hey all....30 inches of snow here in Newtown CT the other day. anyways, I sheared the threads off the horizontal hinge pin.

Now that I plowed on it for the last few hours, it tweaked the remainder of the threaded end of the pin (Which might I add was installed reverse of how the sticker above it says it it to be installed.)

So here I am wailing away at the pin, trying to knock it out to no avail. I have a buddy who's finagling the tower so it lines up perfectly and still no go. Ive tried to heat it up to contract the metal and that did nothing. all the tension is off the trip springs and the cylinder and spring are off the driver side so i can hit it from that side out the passenger side.

So since its stuck, i think the only thing I can do is cut off the welded grommet end and try to pop it out the opposite way? Cutting through grade 8 steel sounds like no fun.

Any other ideas? i'm hoping this dusting for us tonight amounts to nothing or I'm phucked!@

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I had to do this on a plow before. What I did was took the light tower off and the wing cylinders, Just leave them hooked up to the lines. Then took the trips springs off the a-frame. I then put the plow face down and struck a sawzall with a 12 inch blade in between the a-frame and the center section and went to town. Get a couple blades and just keep going at it. It takes some time but it will cut. The one I was working with was only thru the one side and just about out the opposite end of the a-frame. So i was able to take the a-frame off after it was cut on the one side without a problem. From the way it sounds you might need to cut both side. Its a fun project though I will say that much. I tried the whole lets put a jack on this side and lower this side and move it this way and that way. It didn't work.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. GA73

GA73 Member

when mine broke i just popped the cylinfers loose.and springs. plow in v positon still on the truck and used new pin to drive old one out. the new one i put in was the old style one with the pins.
    i ended up tack welding it to keep from coming out
  4. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

There is fella on here called 2COR517 that has more experance with "hinge pins" than you can imagine . I am almost certain he will know how to help you out; with this issue. He is very knowledgeable on BOSS plows; and especially the "hinge system", on them, as he has studyed the engineering aspects of them in great detail ; And would most certainly be a "vast source of knowledge", as to how to get it changed out, and why it may have failed..............
    Good Luck!
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. GA73

GA73 Member

sorry ment scoop
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow. Never expected you would be browsing the Boss forum. Checking out the competition?