1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent frame?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cfdeng7, Oct 14, 2009.

1. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys my buddy just picked up an f250 like mine with a fisher plow on it. well the plow is off center by like 2 inches. the lift triangle is not centered on the truck. its weird the truck drives straight it doesnt look like it was in a wreck but when the plow is hooked up its not centered. i think the frame must be tweaked but it drives perfectly straight so i just dont get it. any ideas?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Im thinking the install of the plow mount on the truck is a little off?

I don't know fisher mounts, but I think my meyer is a tad bit off too.

I would just plow man.

3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The quick test would be to hook his truck to your plow, just to make sure it's not the plow upright that's twisted. If it proves that the truck is totally at fault, make sure the plow mount is still positioned on the truck frame correctly. No missing or loose hardware that has one side push plate lower than the other. If it all looks OK, you could have the truck checked on a frame machine.

Might be a good idea to check this quickly. If the truck's frame is bent, I'd try to get my money back.

4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

pictures???

5. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

im going to look at it tmrw again and bring my plow down to hook it up the frame and mount looked fine by eye. no vissible bends or anything but his plow is like 2 inches off center. so we'll see if its his plow but i doubt it the frame must be bent. which is weird cuz the truck drives perfectly

6. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

ill try and get some pics too

7. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

alright me and my buddy cant figure this out. the plow mounts are mounted correctly and look fine. the frame does not have any visible damage. the body panels all line up perfectly and are original. the truck drives dead straight and rides mint but the plow is still like 2 inches of center!

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Did you went under F250 front end's frame and measure how tall from frame to ground. Do on both side then see if it same.

I would say plow's A frame is bent.

9. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

no it was pouring rain today but we hooked his truck to my plow which is pretty much brand new and its not centered. like the point on the lift triangle is 2 inches towards the driverside of the truck.

10. Milwaukee

Did you look all bolts to make sure they not bent like this one.
    [​IMG]

11. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

i just ran outside and looked at his truck and the bolts dont look bent but theres a little gap between the plow mount and the frame which is kinda weird.

12. Milwaukee

That mean bolt been stretch cause by preview owner who ram at frozen pile.

13. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

so if we replace all the hardware should be all set? it didnt really look like they were bent so what happens if the holes where drilled incorrectly? plate it over and redrill?

14. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe try tightening everything up or pullin all the bolts out and using new hardware. worst case if you decided to remount it you have the hardware.

15. Milwaukee

It not matter if bolt look not bent. You remove bolts you would see it.

My friend's 01 F250 with Boss rt3. His plow couldn't went higher to hood. Half way so we replace bolts now it went 5" higher. Bolts were stretch and holes on mount were enlarge due loose bolts.

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Replace the bolts 1 or 2 at a time. That way the mount will stay in place while you replace the bolts.

17. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

alright will do. also if the holes are a little off can i just redrill them a size up to move them a little bit and use larger hardware?

18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you could, something else to consider, (and i don't know a lot about truck blades on pickups) however if the mounting is on the front of the frame, it is posible to have a bent frame and not affect the front suspension or the rest of the truck, if you want a sure fire way of checking is finding a perfectly flat and level piece of concrete, check it with a 5 foot level first, then park your truck on it, and take measurements to the ground along your entire frame on both sides (this is basically what a body shop does to straightening a frame) also if you find yourself having to get it straightened, identify where the bends may be, it should save you money at the body shop in the long run.

19. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

plow with it until it becomes a major issue. it will probably last 4 ever.