1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent frame??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by corey006, Apr 26, 2005.

1. corey006

corey006 Junior Member
    from al,can

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Z71 1500.

I am concerned about a gap betweem my cab and my box. The gap between the passenger's side cab and the box is 1 1/4". The gap between the driver's side cab and the box is 1 1/2".

I looked underneath and nothing seems amiss, the truck drives fine. I not sure even when this occured but pretty sure it was never like this before.

Truck has not been abused. No accidents. Do I bother taking it to the body shop??
  2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

probaly a defect
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Unless you had a very heavy load at the rear of the box, it is real hard to bend a frame up like that. I'm not saying you can't do it but it's pretty tough to do. I will ask around at work (I work for GM at the Truck Plant in Pontiac MI we build full size truck's) I work in the quality dept and will try to get the spec's on that gap for you. But I would not worry about it, you would know if you overloaded the truck.
    Back in the mid 80's the guy's that haul the trucks to the dealer were tightening the chains down to far and were bending some frame's in the middle like that. As far as I know it hasn't been a issue for a long time.

Regards Mike
  4. corey006

corey006 Junior Member
    from al,can

I have been hauling some heavy loads lately but None were over 1400 pounds(including all passengers and gear).

The heaviest was approx 1400 pounds of scrap Copper wire loaded in the center of the box. I know this is pushing the limit of the payload but it was only a 10 minute trip at slow speeds. I am sure that the truck could handle that.
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you bent the frame with 1400lbs I'd be real worried. I hauled 2000lbs in my Dakota (it had a 1800lbs payload) a few times. More than likely the box isn't square on the frame.