1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent Forks?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by wenzelosllc, Mar 9, 2014.

1. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

So last week when I was took my C-plow off I noticed that I was having a hard time getting the locking pins out and had to almost beat on the lever to get it to release. I thought it might have just been snow and ice packed around where everything moves so I let it go.

Today with it being so warm I was going to pull some hard pack from the bottom of the driveway and when I tried to attach my plow I couldn't get it on far enough to get the pins in the notches.

If you look in the pictures you can see that the bolts are hitting on the upper part of the truckside mounts. The handle where it bends is also rubbing. Driver and passenger side are both doing it.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is there an adjustment somewhere that can be made or do I just need to get a new mount? It's an almost new plow; I only bought it this last Christmas.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, never seen that.
  3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Did you install the frame yourself? Do forks look bent? If not id be at the dealer who did the install asap.

If they are bent, you must have hit something pretty dam hard. Never heard of the forks bending.

Did you buy the blade to go on a existing frame that was all ready mounted on your truck? Could be a QHII plow and a QH1 truck side or vice versa? ?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. wenzelosllc

Dealer installed. Worked for two months and then just last week this started happening. It's just odd because the truckside has two parts and only the lower half is out of alignment. I couldn't see how I bent it unless it's the bolts and not the forks.

Dealer wasn't open on Sunday so I'll try to get there today.
  5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Keep us informed.
  6. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Just lower the forks one bolt hole lower.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Guessing you have loose bolts on the mount
  8. wenzelosllc

I would but it looks like they had to cut the upper part of the prong weldment so it would fit under the radiator and a couple of the bolt holes don't have a lot of metal around them.

So, it appears that the drivers side prong is about 1/4" or 3/8" higher in the front then the back; The passenger side is pretty close to perpendicular to the ground, maybe just a hair out of alignment. Don't know if anything else is bent further up into the chassis.

Dealer couldn't do a full inspection seeing how it was after hours (parts dept is open) and they are scheduled out about a week so it won't be going in for a bit. I guess a new prong weldment would run me about $250.

I think I'll look it over and see what the rest looks like under the hood and just go spend the $250 and put it on myself; shop rate to inspect it was like $95/hr and it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty if it was wear and tear. :cry:
  9. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

It would be rare to see a set of forks bend. Especially on one side only. I think what you have going on here are forks that have been raised as high as possible. Since the QH2 mount is mostly a QH1 mount with different forks, Hiniker may not have checked for this interference. It may have been clearing at install and now that things are "setting in" the interference is appearing. Work with your dealer to get the front end of your truck up high enough to be able to lower the forks. If the dealer cut the forks so they cannot be dropped down, then my opinion is the dealer may have to eat the cost of the new forks, but you should be responsible for any suspension modifications needed.
  10. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I agree with this. One way to get the front up a tad will be to put a leveling kit on or my preference...to replace the front springs with heavy duty springs that will essentially raise the front of the truck "and" make carrying the C-plow much better since the front will not drop down as much when you lift it. This is what I did but my forks are also mounted as low as possible due to the Ram's stock height.
  11. rawfish

rawfish Member

I have a bent fork too! Brand new C plow on a 2014 2500 ram. The passenger side on is bent about almost 3/4" out? I have a leveling kit as well for the front.