1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent Exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Dad backed into a mailbox and bent the rear pipe where it goes over the rearend. Probably cut down the area 40% due to the bend. It is one pipe from the cat back including the muffler, so no just replacing that pipe. . He plowed today and it seems to run fine with no power loss. Can we wait a bit before we take it to the muffler shop to get it fixed. Again it seems to run fine. We have gotten close to 80 inches in the last week with at least 6 inches everyday. He plows 5 drives all family. I really think it will be fine but just wanted second opinion. 03 2500HD 6L

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Well I imagine they designed the pipes the size they did for a reason but I bet you'll be fine for a short time. If you are worried about it, just cut the pipe off with a sawzall, or, drill some holes near the kink.

3. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

mines been bent since last year.

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I thought about cutting it off and just dumping it towards the ground, but it takes a bend straight up towards the bed after the muffler and that is where I would have to cut. It probably would not matter if the exhaust was flowing straight up towards the bed, but I figured it was running fine so why bother. I am just wondering other than a power loss if anything else could be damaged by this bend

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Why can't you just cut it off directly after the muffler? If it was up to me that is what I'd do. I'm not sure why it'd matter if the stock exhaust goes back up towards the bed because you will have by passed it when you cut it behind the muffler. If not, I'd just leave it alone rather than pointing it up towards the bed. That can be bad for the brake lines and such that are under the truck when condensation comes out of the pipe. JMO

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

On this truck the exhaust comes out of the muffler with 2 small pipes that take a U straight up towards the bed and converge into a 3.5 I think. If I were to cut it in a way that it would dump straight back, there would be NO chance of having a muffler shop repair it. It could be repaired by having the muffler shop cut it on the upward slope and then bend and flange a new pipe to connect with a clamp, probably far less that the whole pipe including the muffler. I really do not think driving it like this would hurt anything. we are an hour from any shop that bends pipes so it will take a chunk of time to drive and repair and with work it would be tough to get their. This is our farm truck that is not driven daily just for plowing and farm work as he has another SUV

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry too much about it Clint as running it temporarily with it pinched won't hurt anything. Fix it when you have time.

8. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

When you have it fixed, put the pipe in front of the rear tire so this way it will be out of harm in the future....I've done it & it works great & sounds even better with glasspacks...Just a suggestion

9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I actually thought about doing this as I could do it at home and it would probably cost less than getting the pipe bent.

Thanks to all that helped I will fix it or have dad take it to a shop when we get time

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glasspacks rule on a plow truck!

NOT

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  11. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What do you run for an exhaust/muffler

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stock. Nice and quiet. Would like to put a nice Gibson single on it though. Low priority, seems it's just for sound.

13. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

How about when it rots off or you bend it

14. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Straight Pipe, perhaps?

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess I would repair/replace? Am I missing something here?

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

He said Gibson. :yow!:

17. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I dont' know I just thought a Straight Pipe would make a nice addition to any truck. I run a straight pipe on M35A2 and it is loud like 85Db in the cab... But fun.

18. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

great idea... put glass packs or straight pipes on your PLOW!?!? if you have residential contracts this year they probably won't return next year. nobody wants to hear that ( no matter how cool it is to us) going up and down their drive way at 3am.

19. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I agree, straight pipes and glasspacks do not belong on a work truck. I have had the straight pipes and when your ears start bleeding from the vibration, they are no fun. Straight pipes and glasspacks belong on hot rods.

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Do we have the crybaby smiley yet??? Here comes everyone pissin and moaning about someone else s truck and how it sounds, etc. Everyone needs to quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and go plow snow or something!!!

As for the op, it will be fine till you have time to fix it. If it becomes an issue, get a new tailpipe put on it. I doubt it would cost very much to do