1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by White Gardens, Mar 7, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

So, when I bought my plow I noticed the cutting edge didn't seem very heavy.

One of my guys was out plowing the other night and was cleaning the entrance to a driveway, so not going fast at all.

He hit a man-hole cover and put a nice little curve in the center of the cutting edge. He also stated that the plow did trip.

Is this covered under warranty? I've personally never seen a cutting edge actually bend before.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Check the base angle

I would think not being a wearable surface

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it would break rather than bend. Who knows though, why not contact your dealer and ask?

4. White Gardens

I'll be calling the dealer, just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has had this issue.

As for the base angle, it's the actual cutting edge. And being new, it's a lot of edge below the moldboard.

Even if it's covered under warranty, I don't know if I would want to replace it with a stock edge. I'd rather have a local shop build me a thicker and sturdier edge.

I'm taking the plow off the truck today, I'll take a pic of the bend.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely do. I've hit some pretty decent sized objects with mine thinking I broke something but haven't yet (knock on wood). But then I've seen guys hit stuff that seems typical and it breaks a cutting edge. I was at a walmart and a guy with a Fisher XV was clearning in front of the entrance, hit a decent crack in the pavement and the outter edge of his cutting edge flew off. Plow tripped and everything, although it was fairly cold which may have had something to do with it.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Your probably right, but I dont think White Gardens has much time on this plow...considering it was bought new this season, and we havent had much snow...

I'm curious to see what the dealer says.?.?..I've heard from dealers that Buyers is great to work with, and that they do a good job of standing behind their products. I would be expecting them to work with me on it. Let us know.

7. White Gardens

Just called Koenig, Mark wasn't in the office but he's going to call back when he gets in.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do you hear anything, I had a brand new WO with 1/8 worn off it and the base had a curve in it after a hit. That was a 6 in,1/2 edge. You always try flip the edge 180 so the bow is out.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

All in all, my experiences with them have been good....but getting return calls seems to be very hit and miss. If you dont hear back today, I would be calling first thing in the a.m.

him say what?

10. White Gardens

Talked to Mark Koenig of Koenig Body and Equipment. He did call back and usually does.

He didn't call Buyers, but said it probably isn't covered under warranty and has never seen a cutting edge covered under warranty by any manufacture they carry.

He also couldn't believe that it's bent.

I will be taking pics and calling Buyers to see if anything can be done. If not it will at least bring it to their attention. Been working on finalizing taxes today.

My only concern with a bent cutting edge is if it hits something again, will it bend more and cause more damage?

And like I said, if a replacement cutting edge from Buyers is the exact same one, then I don't want it, I'd prefer the cash to have a thicker/stronger one made by the local shop that made my edge for the Fisher Plow on the big truck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  11. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I would ask the employee what he really hit. How tight are the trip springs? I've hit man hole covers with my vx (different trip set up) and never had a issue. I believe your cutting edge is 1/2". It takes a lot of force to bend that much metal.

I would consider the cause being the loose nut behind the steering wheel before blaming the cutting edge.

12. White Gardens

I had verification from the sidewalk shoveler that it wasn't a fast hit or anything out of the ordinary.

When I've used the plow, I have noticed that the moldboard doesn't trip like I expected it to. There was a few times where I hit the lip on a lot and it sprung the plow upwards more like a trip edge plow, without tilting the moldboard.

And I have thought about the springs having too much tension. When I put the plow together, I used a business card to insert between the coils to make sure I had the right tension as recommended in the installation book. When I get done for the season, or at the start of next season, I might double check them to make sure it's correct.

And personally, I think the edge is a shade less than 1/2".

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

During cold weather seen them break but With warmer temps I have seen them bend Bad thing if you keep running it the next hard hit it will break

On my boss Vplow My son was running it in V mode on the ground hit a crack bent one side. Plow didn't trip at all. I make mine out of mild steel. So I took it off and put it in my press and fix it

14. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Is the A frame level when the plow is down?

15. White Gardens

Yes, It's set up where it needs to be.