1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bent bracket?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by andyman0291, Dec 12, 2008.

1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

can a bent bracket, where the arrow points in the pic, affect the performance of my mm2 8' hd plow? i wouldnt think so but i am just making sure. the spring does bow a little bit.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know how it would affect operation, but I suppose the edge could trip just a tiny bit easier due to reduced pressure from the spring. How did you bend it?
  3. andyman0291

im not sure how it was bent i purchased it like that.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I see them bet quite often on used blades. I have hammered them back to shape and then gusseted them to prevent it from bending again. It will cause the trip edge to trip easier, though not really noticeable.
  5. andyman0291

how hard can i hit is before it will break? and must i take the spring off to do so?
  6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Won;t affect it at all.

happens to us all the time as we put larger cutting edges on then we actually should. (get more life out of them we've had one cutting edge on a blade for 4 season now. and still atleast an inch left on it.

Ir you're really concerned. heat, bend back down. then but an extra brace from top of that plate to the mold board.
  7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

As the others stated it will not really affect the performance much, but the reason it is bent up is from one of two reasons. One is like Bruce stated - using a cutting edge larger than 6" creates more leverage than the spring setup was designed for and when a object is hit that causes the trip edge to fold back and all of the coils in the spring collapse and there is nowhere else for the spring to go but up and the top anchor will start to yield. The other is just plowing way to fast when an abject is hit. The larger cutting edge will void warranty for obvious reasons.