1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent blade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by b2driver, Aug 7, 2006.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I bought a blade used a few years ago that has a slight curve on the bottom edge. The cutting edge has compensated and wore unevenly, but it's time to replace it. Would a welding/metal shop be able to make the blade straight again? It looks like it has about an inch or two deflection in the middle. Suggestions?

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Keep on running it. Most blades out there are are probably bent if they are used much at all. If it was working fine before there is no reason why it wont again.
  3. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Depending on where it is bent and what is bent we could probably fix it. From your description it sounds like it might be the bottom angle of the frame that is bent. Not too big of a deal to straighten and fix. If however it is the verticle reinforcing angle, that is more difficult due to the fact that they are actually rolled. Let me know if we can help.
  4. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I am TOTALLY convinced that a good welding shop can & will fix ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Probably not worth it though. Most older blades wern't that true from the factory.

If the edge compensated then leave it.

You could also get a used blade for probably less then the labor to fix it.
  6. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Bent Blade? Run it!

Hey b2,
    My blade has a slight bend it xysport I wouldn't to much about it. Just keep a good cutting edge on it and you'll be good to go wesport

PaleRider :gunsfiring:
  7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Why welding shop? To reinforce it? Why not a frame machine? It's seams they could bend it back strait and then put a new edge on.
  8. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Frame Shop

Yes, I agree.
    Then Bring it to me to fix all the broken welds as a result of bending it back into place.
  9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That's what I would do. Can't ask for better welder that knows plows as well.:drinkup: