1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent Angle Cylinder

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ksgcapecod, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

During the past snow storm I get a call that the plow is not angling to the right. Upon closer inspection I get told that the right angle cylinder is bent. My next question is, "Well what did you hit?" The answer, "...Nothing." I looked at the cylinder and in fact it is bent with the powder coating cracked along the cylinder and flaking. The fluid was changed in the entire unit and the filters cleaned and changed. This is the first time I have seen this. My two questions are: Is this from hitting something way too hard and secondly when replacing the cylinder is there anything else that could have caused the problem or been damaged that I should be aware of. Thanks Guys!

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen guys bend cylinders trying to stack with the blade in a corner, or a lost bolt and jammed the cylinder on the blade, it's not always an impact. Stupid stuff happens. Good news is... cylinders are easy to replace you should have spares. Make sure all the yokes are sturdy and not bent as well.

3. TigersFan

TigersFan Junior Member

I have bent a couple before figuring out the crossover bleedoff was not adjusted to give in easily enough.
    Personally I have seen no evidence of the OEM being any better than the auto parts over the counter brands.