1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent A frame

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have the ability to straiten a bent A frame on an 8611 ? I'm in Naperville IL, thanks!

2. Vaughn Schultz

Nobody ? any ideas?

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i might know a guy that can help. how fare gone is it?

4. Vaughn Schultz

about an inch, not super bad but at full angle the passenger side does not scrape well at all

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with heating the steel and getting it back into shape may create a weak spot. There are a couple of ways of doing this. Bend it back using heat and then "fish" plate the area on both sides. Or, cut out the bent part and weld in a new piece and then "fish" plate it. I have done other frames before both ways depending on the severity of the damage. See my Old School Diamond conversion post.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=64257. I am sure others cringe about cutting/heating/welding an A-Frame but if done correctly and with the right equipment it will be as strong as the original.
    T.J.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. Vaughn Schultz

Wow I looked at that thread, your very handy in the shop :drinkup:

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

well, or if your like me , you have a friend with a multi millon dallr steel shop.... you nam eit , water jets , cnc mills, cnc plasmacutter table.... that will burn threw like 2 inch plate.... im sure he has like a 50 ton press laying around....

8. Vaughn Schultz

I'm not really sure how this helps me?

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Me either. Maybe go to a local welding shop, if they can't fix it, thay might know who can. We have straightened many A frames ourselves but it takes alot of time and know how. We don't have a large press, so we just use our biggest tractor to jack off.:D

10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

worst case can you buy just the a frame??

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

well his shop is in lombard, i will give him a call, normally i go down there on sat or sundays, to work on stuff, fabrication or what ever is need to get ready for snow season, he even can build pushers for cheap -

12. Vaughn Schultz

ahhhhhhh, sweet deal. I'm going to take it apart and see how bad it actually looks and ill let you know or post a picture.

13. Vaughn Schultz

I can, its like 800 bucks or something :rolleyes:

14. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

When you heat it and bend it back soak it in oil it will harden back up :)

15. Vaughn Schultz

What? I have never heard of this process. I have never heard of alot of things so can you explain this please? :p

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

you can also heat it up bend it , and dip it in a hardening compond to retain its strenght. I had to buy an A frame for my western , surprisingly it was only like 200 bucks.... i could have fixed mine, but for 200 wasnt worth my time

17. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha , take a look at a Western a-frame compared to a blizzard. 95% of the plows out there look like toys next to the Blizzard stuff. The a-frame on a uni is made out of used bed frames :drinkup:
    Hell the FFC skid plow I got is built lighter then my pre-DD blizzards

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Suspect at best, while that is how they make springs, etc, it is a very complacated formula to achive proper hardness. Not only is the metal heated but often so is the oil, the tempature and type of critical. Then they are cooled over a pre-determined period of time depending on the level of hardness required.

What you are going to acceive is more likey to be Diffusion hardening where the surface hardens while the center core stays soft.

glad you quailified Pre-DD:D

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is hardening compound?

Steels hardness is directly related to the amount of molybdenum add to the steel when it was made.

Putting a compound on the steel will not make it harder.
    we use a pudy when welding on truck bodies it absorbed heat. This stops the panel from distorting from the heat.

By heating it up and bending it back then quenching the steel you just will be making it brittle.

20. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Basher i always wonder about this process, so u weaken the a frame by heating and bending it? It looses its ridgity?:waving: