1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bent 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by capt4nocfa, Jan 9, 2006.

1. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

well where do I start? I sold my dodge w/ a myers CP8, that I have for over 10 years and purchased an 810 for my 1 ton crew cab dulley. I did the research and the 810 seems like the best blade on the market, esp the power wings, man are those neat!! so to the dealer i go and $4600 later i own an 810.. now in the lower part of MI we have not had that much snow, well at least when i have been in town to plow, that is. So here is the hitch, I have used my plow twice and the "A" frame is bent. I also am having the same issue as everyone else with the wings, and the moldboard is already starting to rust. So i have contacted blizzard, fighting with them to get this taken care of. their stance- you hit something it is yours, will sell you a new "A" frame for over $300. my reply is no S$%T i hit something, who doesn't- but to bent the "A" frame as bad as i did my truck should be totaled and I in the hospital- the right side of the plow is 3 inches higher than the left. I have read that guys have hit cars, gone off the road etc and never bent anything this bad- even their customer service gal said guys have hit bridges and never bent the plow.. all i plow is a few driveways and a fire station parking lot- I am not a big time plow guy.. anyway the purpose for the rant is- anyone else have this problem not only w/ the plow but w/ customer service? So far I have spoken w/ Johnathan, Nells, and another fella higher up the chain. not very impressed to say the least...
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any pics of this A-frame? Or this rusting problem?

Not sure if you realize it, but if you do use the plow, some things are going to wear on it, such as the edge and the paint. Possibly even the stickers.

I'm willing to bet that there isn't a plow manufacturer out there that will warranty the A-frame in question. If it's bent that bad, you hit something awefully hard. And they don't and can't warranty everything. It's all part of the business.
  3. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

I understand what your saying-

I have pics at home, will send them later. this is brand new, not even 2 months old.. I do expect some rust in a few years, not a few months. esp on the non-snow abrasion areas, like the back of the moldboard, and ends of the wing boxes...

to bend the a frame, you would think i would have remembered the Jolt, after i was thrown across the truck, the air bags deployed and i was taken to the hospital by the paramedics etc- but i don't cuz it never happened... that is what bothers me. This is a pretty heavy truck, w/ ballast and plow prob over 8000lbs, to plow with and I might not feel every jolt like in my past smaller trucks, something hast to give, I just hope it is not the "A" frame all the time. they did offer to sell the "A" frame at a reduced price.

I understand stuff gets bent and broken.. I just hope this is not a sign of the quality of the product i purchased. i read about the guy who hit the granite curb and just bent the truck mounts, that i could understand ya know.. I had a CP8 for years and only replaced hoses and changed the fluid and hit plenty of stuff as we all do - and hit a few things plenty hard.

just really disappointed in the customer service and quality for being a new customer as well as a Michigan resident.
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Have you checked all the bolts and pins? All must be tight. A loose pin could create the situation you describe.

As for the paint, go to the hardware store and buy a couple cans of Rustoleum Appliance White. The plow is powder coated (as many are these days) because of EPA issues with paint. Any wear area or chip in the powder coat will rust. You last plow did this too, but it wasn't white, so you didn't see it as fast. Touch it up. Spray everything else with Fluid Film.
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have had my 810 for two years now. Mounted on 76 Chevy K20. Truck weight with plow is just under 10,000 lbs. I plow large lots mostly, and I have hit plenty of curbs, manhole covers , etc. I dont baby truck or plow. I have had zero trouble with my plow. Yes it has some rust appearing at the weld joints after 2 years. Same as my Boss and Meyer plows.
    Are you sure its the plow thats bent and not your pickup frame?
  6. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

my myer did not start rusting for 3 or 4 years, the moldboard was poly so that never rusted it was the ribs and even that was not too bad - the plow lived outside all the time. i will take your advice and use the rustoleum paint and WD 40 or something like that thanks!! - did not think i should have to do that to a new plow.

as for the other reply, no bent frame on the truck. when you look at the plow from the back you can see one side of the "A" frame is lower than the other. ya it bent the pins on the r angle cyl. all is tight. when you lower the plow to the ground the left side hits first then the right. when you hold it to just where the left side is on the ground you can not lean on it to make the r side touch. it is definitely bent... that is what bothers me, i do baby the truck and plow- this is my daily driver and can not afford to brake it ya know..

forgot the pics again today..
  7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Did you get the 810 this season? I dont know why but it seems like there is a lot more people having problems with Blizzard plows this season.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely because DD bought them out. ;) ;)
  9. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

Yes i did get it this season.

because i am somewhat handy w/ a wrench, and bizzard is not working with me. I took it apart and changed the pins that were bent in the angle cyl and the bolt(s) were tight. that did not change the attitude of the blade, nor the owner... as you look at the a frame from the front to the back (with it out of the plow) you can see the that tube is "torqued" along the long axis. the Tube obviously needs some reinforcing to keep it from twisting. the biggest problem is i can not get it straight no matter how hard i try in the press.. I am at the mercy of blizzard. and going to be lighter in the wallet...
  10. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

could not get the pics to upload.. :redbounce
  11. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Blizzard Had Alot Of Problems With The 05 Plows I Kno I Had Many Problems Blow Pistons And Having The Wings Over Extend And Bend Maybe You Had One Of Them
  12. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Bending....Bahh.......But it has wings:rolleyes:
  13. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

well blizzard has lightened my wallet some and is sending an "A" frame. at a cost that is much less than dealer. they are shipping it to my house direct so I can install in and move on w/ life.. am I happy, nope- still have the wing issue to deal with. more down time.............. glad the snow that is falling today will prob be gone tonight or in the morning... thanks all for your replys...
  14. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

You Do Know They Will Cover The Cost To Repair Your Wings Right?
    It Was An Issue They Had With Building The 05 Models. They Gave Me New Wings Also Because I Bitched And Moned Along With A New Set Of Cutting Edges For My Grief.
  15. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

Bought my 810 in 04. Mounted on a 3500HD w/sander. Scaled this AM at 8.4 ton. I have bent the shoes and wore out the steel cutting edge. Otherwise zero problems. 95% commercial lots. I did bend the frame behind the cab on this truck last summer, and I bent the nose frame on my 98 3500 when the Fisher plow on it was t-boned at an intersection. I have found Chevy frames to be soft, so your a-frame may not solve all of your problems. I didn't know that I had a problem with the 98 until I set the plow down and it didn't touch the ground on one side. Good luck. I save 30% in plowing time with this plow vs. the V-plows I've had before, so I'm staying with Blizzard.
  16. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

No doubt that Blizzard is having problems this year and I would not tell anyone to buy one as of now. Could be cheap steel or thinner steel I don't know. My plow has been perfect and it's going on 2 years old. I run a U edge which keeps the wear down. I have plenty of plowing hrs on this thing, not this year but last year, and the amount of snow it moves is massive. It does save time thats for sure.
  17. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

To start off I have to say I love the blizzard plows. But I have had the same problem with bent wings on my new 05' model. As for the 04' model I purchased last year, no problems ever only needs a new cutting edge at the end of this season. The night of Dec 14th (our last plowable snow) the left wing over extended and the right wing bents back from a curb. I took it in a b*tched and mooned to blizzard, got new wings and found up that the problem was the stoppers were welded 1/2" to far out, thus letting the wings over extend. Blizzard blames it on a welding jig but more than likely it was one or a couple of disgruntel employees. Never the less blizzards are a great plow but the dealers are not.

18. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

finely got smart enough to get the pics to upload.. here you guys go.. look at the right side of the mount compared to the left. and no it is not the ground... I attached 2 pics. hope they come thru....

19. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Wow...That does not look good...Did you show these pics to your dealer or the headquarters? I have heard nothing but bad things about " The Blizzard plows" not worth the money... Good luck
  20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Such a shame....I've heard nothing but GOOD up until this season. Seems as if you have an '04 it was perfect. The earlier ones (pre-'04) had issues, but nothing compared to the problems as of late.

When people plow hassle free with old Western's and Meyer's for decades, and then step up to what they think is a HD plow, and they don't compare....people will get upset.