1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belts wear out every 10 hours. Is it rusty pulleys?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve b, Jan 6, 2005.

1. steve b

steve b Member

My 85 Chev 6.2 keeps wearing out belts. The pulleys are all alined.The truck sits during the summer and the pulleys look really rusted. Will it take a few belts until they are smooth again. Or is it something else?

2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

maybe you should pull them off and grind the rust off or wire wheel it off.
    what part of the belt is wearing or failing?

3. steve b

steve b Member

They are thinning.

4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

the belt might be too tight. but the rust is a big problem. where the belt makes contact on the pulley, the surface should be smooth and in some cases very shiny.

5. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Check to make sure all the idlers and other pullys such as water pump, alternator, A/C compressor rotate with little effort. Can you smell anything like burning belt, or hear belt scretching? This may indicate a heavy load from one of the load points.

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

You might wanna check to see that you dont have a bearing failure in any of the accessories that is drivin by that belt.If a vehicle is sitting for 10 months then expected to goto work the heat cycle of hot to cold over time causes some bearings to fail.I still have a real hard time with our Dodge vans at work,after sitting for say 2 weeks or longer the Altenator will set up TIGHT and the only option is to replace it.I donot know if the design of it cases this or just cheap bearing or what but after our 7th one in a year it gets tiring.Make sure all the pulley's spin nice and free and try to check them with it at normal operating temperature.once it's warm shut it off pull the belt and start rotating AND checking for slop up/down and side to side. and just spinning them by handto make sure you have no binding.If those pulley's are that rusted im willing to bet the rust has aken a bearing out.

7. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

I had the same problem on my boat motors. All the pulleys were in line and spinning free. But they were a little rusty. I cleaned them up good, put on new belts, went fishing for the weekend. When we got back to the stall, before I shut them down, I gave them a good dose of belt dressing, let them idle for 5 minutes to coat the pulleys good,shut'm down. End of problem. Haven't wore out a belt sense.

8. drplow

drplow Senior Member

if the bearings on one of the pulleys are worn out it may heat up so hot it might burn the belt. something like this would probably make some noise though.