1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt vs. Chain

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by redman6565, Feb 2, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a belt salt hopper and i think if it had a pulse and a neck i would strangle it. anyone experience difficulties with a belt/auger spreader vs. a chain/auger spreader?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Belt driven auger as opposed to direct or chain driven auger? Never seen one.

Are you referring to the conveyor?

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:cool:tymusicya I had a Fisher with a belt always slipping now I have 2 meyers/diamond swenson. Pick what ever name you want and so far (3 years no probs) And yes I did have that V plate to take the weight of the chain apron.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Curtis has a hydraulic drive for the spinner and apron

IMO looks to be the simplest drive system there is for a gas engine spreader

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

no i meant the conveyor...i have three chains and one belt but when i talk to towns and some people, they swear that belts are a lot better than chains, and idk why, i've only had trouble with them

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My PolyCaster has been very good. I did have to tighten the belt once last year after a couple of uses, and I took up another turn this year. I had one load of salt "freeze" this year. The belt simply slipped rather than break anything. With the belt, no rusting or broken bed chains. Some do say the chain is better sometimes at digging away at a frozen load. My first choice would be the belt.