1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt Squealing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Danscapes, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Any of you guys have problems with belt squeals? I have an '04 F-250 with 36,000 miles on it and the belt just started to squeal. It only does it at idle and below 1500 RPM's, at idle its a faint squeal then when the RPM's get higher so does the squeal then goes away at 1500 RPM's. Anybody have info on this? Certainly it doesn't need a new belt at 36,000 miles, Maybe its an idler pulley or something???
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

well their is no set life span on belts ,but check the tension and idler's they could just be getting dried out ! or the pulley's are glazed .

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I believe suggested replacement is about 36k miles.
  4. ditto

Tensioner/idler is a simple low cost fix
    makes you wonder why you put up with the noise
    change the belt at the same time if at all marginal
    KC and Jetta
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get the repair manual and look up the wear gage on the belt. At 36K and if it's a plow truck I would bet you have been living on borrowed time with that belt. If you wrench your own repairs save the old belt it for a 3AM spare.
    No book a bigger library will have repair manuals you can look at.
  6. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Funny thing is, it warmed up around here and it has stopped. Maybe I'll change it and scuff up the pulleys a little with some sand paper.
  7. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I've seen new belts squeal at 15,000 miles.

If it were an idler pulley, the noise stays at every RPM. Sounds like the belt is fried. Also if the belt has strait groves on the backside, those are KNOWN squealers! :realmad:

I would replace it with a belt that has the cross hatch grooves. xysport

And while you're at it, take some acetone and clean off the pulleys, don't sand em.