1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt squealing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mopar250, Dec 4, 2006.

1. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I've got a 2000 ram 3/4 with a 360 and an 8ft hiniker on it. I've just started plowing and this week we had our first real pounding snow and I've got an issue. When i'm moving the plow my serpentine belt squeals, and the amp gauge starts dancing. I've got the original battery in my truck (almost 7 years, 130k miles, I think i got my money out of it). So should I be ok with a new stock battery? Or should I look at getting 2 batts in there, or would an Optima be my best bet? How about an alternator?
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

your alternator is workign as hard as it can you need the next biggest one but be careful too big may not fit so check it out that should clear it up or put some belt dressing on it to quiet it down
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Up grade to two batts.
    Replace your serpentine belt. Once they start to squeal or get a glaze on them there shot.
    Warning: do not use belt dressing on a serpentine belt.
    Only use belt dressing on a V belt.

Replace the alt with a bigger one when this one goes bad.
    The next largest alt is around 146amps. it will fit, to replace the original one.

Get the Optima and a new belt first and see what that does.
    Is your belt tensioner still doing it's job?
  4. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Check to make sure your belt tensioner is not sticking first or you will ruin a new belt if you end up replacing it..
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Also consider a Goodyear Gator Back belt... available at Goodyear store, Auto Zone, or Summit Racing online. Most racing MOPARs use that belt. Quietest serpentine I've every used.
  6. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Bill i am a dodge tech you need to replace you battery put in the largest battery that dodge says you can. Dod not put in an optima battery they are a scam. You should NOT need two batterys. If the alt out put is ok i would not worry about it but if the alt needs to be replaced replace it with the largest one dodges says you should not the one NAPA says you should. if the belt squeals it shounds like you need a belt and Tensior.
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I would think a "TECH" would know what size batt that would be?. I curious to hear also.
    Stock is 750ca ,I'm running 2000ca

Optima batts or batts like them work great, you get more dependable years of service from them and no leaking.
    He may or may not need a second batt. We know nothing about how many amps he is drawing at any given time.
    You should know what size alts would fit too.

simple and easy, I bet he all ready did it,, just get a new belt there easy to replace and see what that does for you.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  8. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I havn't had a chance to see what the alternator is putting out yet. I've got a new belt and havn't heard any squealing yet. I've moved the plow in every which/way/direction. But, I still see the volt meter moving quite a bit, so I believe I still will need to be in the market for a batt. I'm gonna wait for the check from the last push and I'll head out and grab me a new batt.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I think a new batt is in order too.

When you move your plow you need allot of amps now an alt can not supply them quickly enough. That is why you need a big batt and in some cases a second one.

Think that the alt is a air compressor and the batteries are the storage tank.

Check and clean your electrical connections for the plow and battery also
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

What battery has 2000 cranking amps Sno?
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Two 1000 ca batts:waving:

or is that just 1000ca???

I supose that is just a biger tank(two batts) holding a 1000ca?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Correct sno- the CCA does not increase with adding batteries, you simply increase the AH rating- how long the batteries will supply a given amprage.

As to the OP's truck- the stock Alt is a 120 amp rated- it's stock on all gas Dodges. Doesn;t matter what the build sheet says BTW- some called it a 135, but it's a 120 and most of them actually load test out over 135 anyway. auto parts stores only stock 120 remans, mine load tested to 170! (replacing the CTD stock 160 alt)

The biggest battery that will fit is a Group 31 size- the stock size. There is another group size that is the same footprint but 1/2 inch taller. you need o check for hood clearence if you want to run it. The advantage of the taller one is longer reserve time (more AH), but slightly less cca. Stock gas engines battery used to be 700cca, CTD was 1000cca. I put in 2 interatates last fall, the taller ones (I forget the group number- now it's going to bug me...).
    Unless you want to spend bucu bucks at the dealer for the rated alt (160amp was like $350+ and a weaks order time) you're stuck with the Reman at the corner shop, and the facility that remans them takes all of them in (all amp ratings) remand them all the same (nothing they replace has any bearing on the output) and calls them all the lowest acceptible rating to simplify their process.