1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt squeal

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Dec 2, 2007.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

When I start my 04 F250 5.4 the belt squeals real loud like its slipping. Sometimes for 30 seconds. I put a new belt on and no change. Is it possible the tensioner needs to be replace or what else?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The tensioner's go bad all the time. Make sure it's not another component going bad like an idler pully. If the idler is bad most times it has a little slop in it.

3. piece of cake

tensioner

agreed,
    tc

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I picked up a new tensioner today and will put it on this weekend. I check everything else seems fine. Hope this is it. The squeal has gotten worse, it squeals alot now.

5. Tensioner

==========================================

So, did you install it yet ??? Squeal gone ???

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

No not yet. Its going to be sometime this week. I have to wait for my friend to give me a hand. I had broken my foot and needed surgery a few weeks ago. Its hard for me getting around and working on the truck while on cruthes. I will get it done and let you know. I did buy the tensioner. With any luck the doc will let me start to walk this week, Will see.

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Well I got the tensioner on today. It took all of 15 min. Boy it was easy and solved to problem so far. Will see if the squeal comes bad or not. I did notice the new tensioner was harder to move and put the belt on. Thanks for all the help guys.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it comes back, take the belt off and make sure the alternator, water pump and idler pulley / roller are turning freely with no play / slop. Do it when they are cold first thing in the morning after the trucks sat a while. I didn't think to tell you to check that stuff before replacing the tensioner. If all else the tensioner's new so you know it's good to go. Did you replace the belt while you were there? I do it then save it as a spare. At 3AM on a Sunday I can save my night!