1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt squeak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redskinsfan34, Dec 18, 2013.

1. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Hi guys. It's a 97 F-250 Hd with the 351 in it. The belt squeaks just a little at idle. Then, when accelerating it only squeaks at certain (lower) rpm's. Example: I'll take off from a stop and when it shifts from 2nd gear to third the belt squeaks but only for the first few seconds till the rpm's get to a certain point and then the squeak stops. This continues thru all the gears. It doesn't have a tach. so I can't say exactly what rpm's it happens at. Last year it did the same thing and it turned out it was the alternator going bad and dragging on the belt. I replaced the alternator so I can't believe that would be the problem. Any thoughts? Maybe just throw a new belt at it? Thanks.

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Take the belt off and spin all the components to see if they are making any noise or feel like they are grinding at any point. I'd put a new belt on after that and see how it does

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

similair thing happend to my 96 F350 with 351. do as snowflakers suggests to be sure all pulleys spin smoothly. mine did, and i figured after 17 years and 108,000 miles it was time for a new tensioner. i got one brand new in the box off ebay for $15 with free shipping. Dayco 89263 is the part. i put a new belt on it for good measure and keep the old belt as a spare behind the seat. the old tensioner was pretty weak compared to the new one. anyway, that solved the issue for me.

4. redskinsfan34

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

5. redskinsfan34

I just got off the phone with a mechanic who helps me sometimes and he said to put a gob of dielectric grease on the belt and if it stops squeaking, it's the belt that needs to be replaced for sure. Makes sense to me.

6. redskinsfan34

Thank you for your reply.:salute:

7. redskinsfan34